Commission: Alan Keef K12 in 7/8ths...

After spending a few weeks on my windowsill letting the paint finish harden up, I've weathered the Alan Keef and am excited to share photos of it finished, posed here on the Tramway...
The model has been a good fun build, and combines my usual techniques of 3D printing and laser cutting - the axle boxes and couplers were 3D printed, the rest laser cut... under the bonnet behind the grill sits a SLR Models Lister engine, the prototype was fitted with - and the batteries and receiver sit behind the plain section of the bonnet. Under the footplate sits Slaters wheels with micro gearbox and Delrin chain drive, in a custom designed chassis unit.
This is a small locomotive, a lot smaller than the K40 I built for myself some time ago, only just larger than the G-series... however it's tall and thin, and has a nice cuteness to it, intact, if I didn't have a K40 I'd have built a pair!
It's incredibly orange in the flesh though and my customer requested a worn but looked after finish, which is often harder than it sounds. It's easy to slap a load of dirt on, much harder to add the dirt, clean it off and then add some more in a subtle way to suggest cleaning and wear and tear.
As well as oil and grease leaking from the engine bay and exhaust, there are a few scrapes and rust patches, plus some staining and gunk leaking down from window seals. The bonnet top is also stippled to give the impression of that mouldy lichen stuff that grows on horizontal surfaces when not well drained...
It's difficult to capture the subtle finish in photos but combined with some dry brushed gun metal on worn edges and airbrushed soot and road dirt, I think she's met the brief and my customer is happy. Off to Scotland later this week thanks to Royal Mail...
I do love the Keef logos, so simple, yet they lift the model...
I'm about to start building a batch of Hudson Hunslet's in 7/8ths, and there is still a chance to squeeze in another with this summer's batch. Get in touch if you'd like to reserve one, or commission you're own one off like the Keef. More soon...

Comments