Canadian Project: Paper scribblings...

Since my earlier posting about this new direction, well old revisited direction, I've had my iPad and Pencil and a few days holiday to think about different ways to approach it...

I find the process of sketching out ideas the only way to make sense of ideas, and to see where they might take me, and in this case I'm exploring what each may look and feel like. I've had a few different approaches and as yet, although several have been promising nothing feels right yet.

What you can see is a switching between a Saskatchewan setting and Nova Scotia setting, and between micro and small layouts... The first idea was an industrial micro, using 2 or 3 cars and switcher to evoke the feeling of the prairies setting with a big blue sky, bright lighting and faded sun bleached colouring.
Schemes for both a 3ft and 4ft length, and different levels of complexity were tried, however the more track that was added, the less satisfied I was, it felt like just another Brit's attempt at a North American setting in a space staved environment.

I then wondered about repurposing one of my metal storage cases for a shed scene, using some grain or box cars as a backdrop. The idea to build a scenically detailed high quality setting, and experimenting with the scale a little to find my bearings. In OO this approach suits me as I'm more interesting in building and finishing locomotives to a high quality, but in H0, my weathering techniques still feel very fresh and new and I'm perhaps less sold on just that aspect of modelling, and more after something to operate...
...which led to me revisiting an old Iain Rice plan I found on the internet. The 8x4 is a classic Model Railroader style project, and one, that if I had the space, I'd be tempted to try out. My concern is the sharpness of the corners at 20" minimum radius. I'm not sure of the back to back arrangement, and wonder whether the same concept could be opened up to 8x 6 with an operating well, effectively, or just an access 'bridge' at one end, keeping the end to end, but easing the curves, and mounting the layout along walls... 

So it's an interesting new approach for me, planning my own layout, when I don't have a fixed concept of the prototype, location setting or even yet a firm home in the house for it. However, it's nice to go back to basics, this sort of work is exciting, and I've done it before for customers, so it's good to sharpen the saw so to speak. If you've got a layout concept you'd like some help working up to a design, I'm happy to work with you, so get in touch for a no obligation proposal that will walk you through each step, providing sketches and visualisations, mock ups and full track scale track plans using your track system of choice... 

In the meantime, more soon...



Comments

  1. I've been tempted by the back-to-back layout format for a while - "First" shows how it can be done well and give two layouts for the space of one. https://009adventure.blog/my-layout-first/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tha is Phil, it’s a good concept, I used it way back for Bejsu Reka (009) and Dawson Creek (009) but neither made it to the finish line for storage reasons. Same will apply here, I think I need to find a home for it before getting much further - or just built the micro...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.