Creech Grange Light Railway in 009…

A few years ago I built a small layout called Creech Grange in 006.5, representing a fictitious estate railway in Purbeck, near Corfe Castle…

That layout made use of Busch H0f track and mechanisms and launched the ‘6point5’ range of kits marketed now through Light Railway Stores. However, the back story was interesting, an estate railway built in 18” after the First World War with surplus equipment sourced from the MOD, shades of Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton. I always imagined that it didn’t survive yet perhaps today’s owner of the Grange has amassed a collection of UK and Continental built ex-sugar cane locomotives and wants to give them a home, somewhere to display them and allow a gentle retirement…
The Creech Grange Light Railway at Creech Barn is born, this 2’3” gauge line features a shed and workshop next to the old stable blocks on the site of the original 18” shed, and initially a short demonstration line that is a balloon loop out into the fields… how could this concept be miniaturised? As every layout needs a home before a scheme can be developed I’ve opted for the same aluminium flight case as Kisten Torfwerk, which is quite a constraint but by using the centre of the layout as a focal point rather than a view block it is possible to squeeze in a sector plate turntable and four roads, three undercover. There should also be space in the yard for a loco ‘on sleepers’ awaiting restoration, and a portrayal of some of the surrounding farm and garden areas (giving them different scenic treatment).

This feels exciting…

It’s a long time since I’ve worked in 009 for myself, a few years since East Works was built and exhibited at the last ExpoNG in 2019… it’s being driven by the emotional response and recall to visits to Statfold recently, memories of Bredgar and events in the past on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland… that preservation ‘theme park’ of well presented curiosities…
I shared the idea with Chris

Somehow this scene alone is a layout that must someday be. Isn’t this just everything railway and all the invitation you could ever need all at once?

It reminds me of visiting Bredgar in 2013 with Tim, we got there early on the Sunday that followed ExpoNG and stood by that brick wall next to the turntable taking it all in, soaking up the sounds and the smells, anticipating the day ahead riding trains, taking photos, enjoying the experience of the day and the company of a likeminded friend…

If this small layout can go beyond serving a useful purpose as a display for my eclectic 009 models, beyond to create that feeling of awe and excitement in me, perhaps others, then as Chris and I have discussed in the past, is this not art?

Wood will be cut this weekend… I have the track but need one turnout. More soon…
(This does mean Kisten Torfwerk will shortly be for sale).

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great concept for a small continuous run. I'm guessing that if you're about to cut boards you've already figured out the sector plate, but I thought it might be useful to point out that Faller makes one in n scale that might be useful https://www.faller.de/gb/en/Products/Track-gauges/N-selection/Railway-stations-railway-buildings/Goods-sheds-loading/Segment-turntable-with-servo-sid14786.html

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, yes I’m excited by the concept… it ticks all my boxes. I never thought I’d consider a preservation era scheme but it fits my situation perfectly.

      The ‘boards’ will just be two thin sheets of MDF and the sector plate will need more of an angle than the Faller offering, I’ll probably go for finger operated simplicity!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I like that a lot. I've pondered building a small 009 layout for a while but could never come up with a track plan I liked that gave enough options for displaying stock -- I'd wondered about a turntable but that takes up too much space. I may well steal that idea..... when I eventually get some time for modelling again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away Mark, I think the idea works well for those of us with more locomotives than rolling stock! Certainly needs only a small space for storage as well... ideally though I'd build a slightly larger layout I could display, but constraints as they are this won't be possible.

      Delete
  3. Is this the perfect 009 layout? After all, both Bredgar and Statfold (and the West Lancs LR, as well) are run in the way we like to run our layouts - lots of engines 'in steam', complex manoeuvres, shunting for the sheer hell of it. Absolutely not the way pre-preservation NG lines were run, but absolutely right for the present day. I'll watch this with excitement and interest - and steal some of its concepts (the sector plate access to the Engine Shed is a brilliant space saver).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. Yes, hopefully full of the character you mention.
      Turnout arrived today, so all systems go!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.