Statfold oh Statfold…

Deservedly a Mecca for narrow gauge steam enthusiasts, after many years I finally managed a pilgrimage myself, meeting Steve for a Planet Industrials board meeting at the Road Rail and Ale festival this weekend…

I had never managed a visit previously although enjoyed regular trips to Bredgar coinciding with ExpoNG in the past… Statfold though is like Bredgar on steroids. Not only were their 7 locomotives in steam, each spectacularly restored and beautifully turned out, but oh my, the museum in the grain store… it’s effectively the National Railway Museum of narrow gauge, set out around a turntable locomotives from all over the world. Steve and I spent hours soaking it all in…
It was a massive mojo boost, expect to see some 10 year anniversary kit releases off the back of the visit as we re-release a few favourites of ours on currently available donor chassis… 
I’ve always wanted to see the Plymouth in the flesh, as I coveted the old Minitrains model as a child, it didn’t disappoint, I might look to add something like this to the EuroNG range in time…
As well as the more obvious we enjoyed finding delights tucked out of the way, from ex MOD stock to unrestored mining locomotives…
It was a pleasure to see Carnegie and Jack, I can’t wait to see more progress with things on the 18” trackwork, perhaps in the future?
This pair were hiding away in barn and beg the question do they get rebuilt as electrics, steam or left as museum pieces and a replica built?
Looking at some of the less pristine items in the collection is a study in weathering. I love the variation in colours and tones on this US built Vulcan works locomotive. The older rust on the bonnet contrasting to those lovely rusty orange streaks down the cab sides,
So a fabulous day out as well as a successful Pi meeting, with decisions made on some important developments, Steve and I are very excited to share these with you all when we’re ready. In the meantime,, just one more photo, the wonderful Java sugar cane locomotive built at the turn of the 20th century by Krauss…
Normal service resumes tomorrow. More soon…

Comments

  1. I'm very lucky that Statfold is literally just down the road from me. There's always something new to see on every visit, and I'd agree that to an extent it is a narrow gauge NRM - personally I'd like to see a few more diesels (and see those that are there get used), but it is a fantastic place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, perhaps we should say museum of narrow gauge steam, as Apedale feels like the NRM of small narrow gauge diesels!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.