Friday Update: Ten Nine Twenty-one…

Bumper update this week as progress across many projects, some shared here, others for future, has been fuelled by a re-emergence of the ‘mojo’…
Victory and the Sentinel on shed at Pont-y-dulais.
What do I mean? Well obviously, I appreciate I am a lucky man to be able to spend my days doing a job I love, creating models and artwork, designing parts, kits and working on ready to run projects, illustration and magazines… but it does sometimes feel ‘a job’, where I enjoy it, but it’s not got the energy behind it… other times I can get fired up and the creative mojo fuels a surge in creativity, productivity and it becomes self energising, like a chain reaction, it infects all the work and personal projects alike… I’m lucky, as I said, and I know it.

After a meeting with a fellow conspirator on a new project on Monday, we had a great day chatting amd mountainbiking, I caught up with old friends and new ones this week. The most exciting news is from a wonderful evening spent with my good friend Steve Milner. We caught up, drank tea, admired each other’s creations and them set about creating jigs and laser cutting parts for the Ruston LB in 7/8ths. Theoretically I now have all I need to build a working gearbox and drive train, that will fit in a chassis amd bonnet assembly, so watch for progress on this next week…
The layout commission I’ve been working on, Renfrew Wharf has continued to inspire and enthuse me as well, working with my customer, David, catching up on the phone, texts and emails has meant the project has drawn close to a scenic conclusion. Testing of clearances for the Inglenook element (below), adding details including gas lamp stands, old oil barrels, turnout levers etc… 
…as well as some ‘stage carpentry’ to add a fiddle stick, just waiting on a trip to B&Q to get some thin ply to use for the lighting lid and pelmet. I’m really excited to see this come together from my sketches earlier in the year, it’s another example of a blank canvas, as although David and I know the backscene features structures from Glasgow, it could be anywhere, set by the actors on stage. 
As the 16mm Simplex is ready for its new home I’ve begun painting the larger 7/8ths version which is to be based upon a Knostrop one, so is a lighter, slightly brighter green, with black chassis. This will feature the same mottled paint finish before weathering…
Finally, the IRS record arrived and I’ve enjoyed getting inspired by photos of Altrincham gas works amongst others, and pondering ideas for new kits… 
…I hope you have a good weekend, and enjoy whatever you have planned. I’m off to Statfold tomorrow with Steve from Planet Industrials for our ‘board meeting’ so perhaps we’ll see you there? Until next time, more soon…

Comments