Tea and trains…

Peppermint and liquorice tea to be exact, and even a small square of 85% chocolate…
When I built the baseboards for Beaverbrook I couldn’t have imagined how much joy I’d get out of two turnouts and a few feet of track. Today has been a good day, I’ve enjoyed catching up with friends, customers and getting on with commissions. 

That doesn’t mean it doesn’t take its toll, post COVID I am still struggling with sleep, so one of my small pleasures is doing a little switching on Beaverbrook in the early evening. It’s a wonderful way to relax and get away from the day to day, loose myself in the models, day dream about what else I’d like to do, what job ends doing next, perhaps imagining standing roadside, watching the local do it’s switching, other times in the cab, waiting for the conductor to throw the switch.

It’s a great hobby this one of ours because that mindful headspace it generates gives the subconscious some time off, a chance to process the day so that when the job is finished, the tea drank and the chocolate enjoyed I’m ready to head back to the family.

Until next time…

Comments