Mollington Works 1986...

You're not always greeted with much going on at the weekends at Mollington Works, however on this morning we find a PCA containing tripolyphosphate being delivered by the MSC Sentinel...


The works here dates from after the second world war, and was part of the industrialisation of the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal in these parts. PiChem produce a range of high quality chemicals and solvents, many of which are found in household cleaning products. Sadly the works were closed here in 1989 and the last run of the MSC Sentinels on this part of the system was in 1996 when Shell pulled out of rail service at Stanlow.


Of course, this is Mollington Road, my 00 scale 'layout in a box' which was built because I wanted to try out some industrial architecture and road surfaces really, but proves to be a pleasing presentation on which to pose some of my smaller industrial models. It seems to suit the feel of these industrial diesels in particular, this is a brand new, box fresh Hornby model which runs pretty smoothly for a RTR model - although no where near as well as the Bachmann 08 - mind it's a lot lighter - but some way shy compared to the kit built models I've built with HighLevel boxes and compensation.

It does seem better engineered than their original Sentinel, the windows in particular seem a distinct improvement. Two axles (middle and leading) are fixed, the third (under the cab) is softly sprung. Pick up from all axles, and a simpler method for removing the chassis from the body... this should mean my dreams of a Dorman Long steam Sentinel are not dead once I can get my hands on a drawing! Fancy a kit one, let me know - demand will drive this up the 'to do' list. I'm thinking 3D core with etched overlays, much like the other locomotive kits in the Pi range, most closely the Ruston. 

In the meantime, enjoy the weekend. More soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments