Saffron 1934…

I was very surprised to find a pair of period prints of perhaps somewhat dubious quality but of historical significance and worth sharing here…


Saffron, built by Taffson Evans and Jenkins in 1901 was thought to have been abandoned by the Vowchurch Slate Company after the quarry at Churchwater closed in 1958, however records were sparse and it appears that a scrap dealer, based in Borcester, acquired her prior to total abandonment and sold her on to the water works railway. She is seen approaching Canal Street Wharf over one of the small drainage ditches in the vicinity with a pair of coal wagons. I'm afraid I don't have an exact date (just the scrawled 'Borcester, 1934' in pencil on the back of the print) nor do I know the photographer.


This is my 006.5 model based upon the Busch feldbahn track and mechanisms with a body kit still on sale through Light Railway Stores in the 6point5 range. The 'Taffson Evans and Jenkins' along with the whole Churchwater story are from the pen of Brian Clarke, who kindly gave me permission to develop these models a number of years ago. Today, my own layout of Vowchurch has gone to a new home but I held onto the stock, and this is pictured on my small 006.5 layout 'Canal Street Wharf'. More soon...

Comments