Commission: Ruston in 009…

This is 009, and the result a combination of the modellers art and the kit designers craft. Although tricky in places it has rewarded with a wonderfully fine appearance…


The kit depicts a 27/32hp design apparently used at APCM Rodmell. The basic styling is typical of the early Ruston models through o the late 1930s, and despite a specific prototype the kit will fit in with either an industrial or preserved setting as these locomotives were so widely used across the country, and many have been preserved.


The chassis design used a coreless motor driving a Tenshodo geared layshaft via a pulley and belt reduction. This results in a compact and reasonably smooth slow running chassis.


Bodywork is a mixture of etched metal nickel silver and white metal detail castings that add much needed weight. The result is a sturdy yet detailed model with good weight balance over the two axle short wheelbase design.


Finishing follows my usual techniques… etch primer, then grey primer followed by Humbrol 86, 100 and 33. This is sealed with a gloss lacquer, before weathering worn a mix of 33 and 98. Once dry dull-cote seals and dulls down the finish nicely.


The neatly etched works plate is painted in gloss black and red, affixed before the final coat of lacquer which means they don’t tarnish with age or handling. After these photos were taken small pins were added to each buffer block to engage with standard 009 loop couplings, whilst remaining discreet and not detracting from its otherwise scale appearance.


If you have a kit sat in a drawer, why not get in touch and see if I can help you turn that collection of parts into a treasured recreation of a favourite memory? The contact form in the menu, Facebook or the forums are all great ways to get in touch and I can prepare you a no obligation personal fixed price proposal. Until next time, more soon…



Comments

  1. Wonderful model. Amazing to watch 009's evolution over the decades, now at a point where close-up photos reveal models that push up against the 7mm and O14 industrial crowd's efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, these photos are really cruel closeups! The dust and hairs are from handling and not in the finish! This model was great fun and runs reasonably well. I’d like to revisit my own Ruston I built for Creech Bottom many years ago, and of course I’ve built the even smaller but equally fascinating Hudson Hunslet from the Narrow Planet range.

      Delete
    2. We always self critique and I am just going to disregard yours! Clearly my eyes bumped over the issues you see without my seeing them. As an artist, this tells me that you ticked the right boxes, got me looking at what was important, framed the experience. The fact is this model overcomes many of the flaws with fine modeling in 4mm and results in something advanced and true to reality. The care--and it really gets down to your care and attention--shows.

      Delete
    3. Dave that is very kind, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Wow James
    The Ruston is as you said a combination of the kit quality and your art. The magnification is severe but does not detract from the quality of the build. It would be great to see it in its natural environment, on a layout.
    If a kit like that was available when I dabbled in 00-9 I might have progressed more but I doubt I would have the patience to get the track laid to the standard to get a small unit like this running well
    As you will remember I visited Rodmell and the kit looks very close to the Ruston I photographed there. The only difference seems to be the cab on the Rodmell loco looks smaller and with a gap between the buffing block and the cab rear wall. Might be that Rodmell rebuilt it as their cab does not have the Ruston porthole. Also I never saw many works plates on narrow gauge Rustons, but that on the kit looks like a standard gauge version.
    However, as always, I am in awe of your abilities to build something this small and get it working
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. The works plate is from the kit, and I suspect is over-scale. It looks lovely in the flesh though! Yes, kits like this have moved things forward a long way with 009.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.