Friday Update: Twenty Five Twenty-two…

Little and large from 009 1:76 to 32mm gauge 1/12 scale and lots in between and a visit to another modellers project too! Grab a coffee and take a seat, and I'll start from the beginning...


The Mosskito Ruston kit has been out a few years now, and is a lovely creation from Neil Moss, aping the old Meridian model re-vamped for the 21st century! Largely etched with white metal details that add some much needed weight it goes together accurately, but is a little trickier than I expected. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, but someone who can take the time and is happy to work slowly and methodically will be rewarded with a unique and well running model. OF course despite best efforts this is still a light, tiny wheelbase 9mm gauge model, so whilst it runs better then it deserves it's always going to be prone to stalling on dirty track or dead frogs.


From the tiny to the massive, a model I built in 2020, Petunia, is back in the workshop for a replacement drive...


The model was fitted with an Essel Engineering chassis which was smooth running and solidly engineered but the MFA gearbox motor and bevel gears were just too noisy in motion. I have re-worked the drive with a 12v micro gearbox motor and Delrin chain and sprocket drive. This still has an element of gear noise, but it is quieter. 


I managed to add an extra set of sprockets on auto pilot, before I remembered it had rod drive!! Oh well, you can't see them, it's a nice reminded that we're all human!


I visited George Williamson mid-week to help with his layout Pendre. This is 5.5mm to the foot and Talyllyn based, and as I understand it a scale representation of the workshop, carriage sheds and station. It will certainly be impressive when finished but every project has to start somewhere. The track is all laid, but our job was to begin wiring. As this will be DCC controlled every piece of track needs a dropper and the bus wires will run on the front and back edges of the underside of the baseboard - so these droppers are pretty long. I spent a few hours and managed to get the first board done whilst George was fitting a new decoder and pickups to No.2 'Dolgoch'. Lots of fun with tea, biscuits and chat and I hope to be able to help again in the near future.


Finally, my Canadian Pacific GP20C-eco is nearing completion as the decals are slowly being fitted ahead of final details and weathering. This model has been another 'labour of love' after I picked up the kit last summer. I wanted to finish the BC Rail CRS20 first, which delayed this project, but the relatively straight forward and well designed kit has meant I felt it worth adding extra features (for me) including working ground and ditch lights. The ESU Loksound with appropriate V8 sounds from the EMD 710 prime mover is as distinctive as an old Alco 251 or EMD 567. Fantastic! 

I'm not sure what the weekend will hold, I've got most of the materials to make as start on a new little project, but I'd also like to do more on Beaverbrook - but the grass will need cutting and hopefully I can enjoy the garden again too... I hope you manage some modelling or railway interest, I've got another layout plan post lined up for tomorrow, so worth checking back in for that. Until next time though, more soon...

Comments