Goodbye Paxton Road…

Don’t worry, not this blog, but the last of the OO gauge items that I bought that marked the start of the layout of that name about 15 years ago…

Heljan Class 33 renumbered and weathered based upon prototype photos of the early 2000s.

I had hung onto these last items in a strange sort of nostalgia fuzz, but you know, they were more like a millstone than a strong connection to my modelling roots. Yes, looking back I am proud of them but by holding on to the thought that one day I’d find a use for them, build a layout for them, they tied me to the past and not the future. In life, in our work, we often use nostalgia as an escape or as a compass to inform which path to follow next. Where a set of models can live across multiple projects there is a distinction when you can recognise that emotional completion, a time to let go, and the release from letting these models go to new homes has been a wonderful experience.

Bachmann Seacow with weathering and rust patterns based on prototype. I always loved the distinctive staining on the ballast chute.

What next? You will all have to wait and see, but the idea of ‘modern image’ British standard gauge has not entirely dissipated and my compass has shown me a new path to explore…



For now though, goodbye old friends, I hope your new owners found via that popular and convenient auction site treasure you well and you have a long and happy life.



Bachmann Seacow with hand painted graffiti copied from a prototype photo.

Bachmann OCA, detailed with lamp, brake discs and air hoses, faded and weathered.


Whilst my methods continue to evolve I am still proud of the finish on these models. The stand out items being the Class 33’s fibreglass roof panel and the red OCA wagon so heavily faded it’s gone salmon pink. These finishes may have evolved, but the practice of working from prototype photos, modelling what you see not what you think you see and taking time in the distinctive small details still underlines my approach today. Until next time, more soon…

Comments