Faded zebra: a CN GP38-2W in H0...

Last Christmas I managed to pick up a Athearn Genesis GP38-2W in Canadian National from their first release. Numbered 4769 it reminded me in a roundabout way of those GP38-2 with standard cabs that had started me off on this Canadian Adventure 32 years ago...


The number even turned out to be an example that had worked in the maritimes. Chris even provided a few photos for me from his own collection, taken more recently in Dartmouth, showing the zebra stripes had faded even more than I was looking at in photos from the early 2000s (my approximate chosen period). 

4769 with a train of auto racks, Dartmouth. Chris Mears photo.

The challenge as I saw it, was to represent the fading of the black paint (which seemed to be wearing to show primer through, and how it had been sprayed or painted originally was a pattern of darker sections) as well as the darkening of the zebra white stripes (which seemed to go a browny grey). Add to that the black anti-slip paint on the nose had worn off and the locomotive had a few distinctive changes, it seemed a good bet to work with, and meant I needn't renumber her, yet still provide that connection to my childhood inspiration.


The forward radiator fan was cut down with a razor saw (after I'd removed the etched grill) and then the grill re-fitted. The exhaust stacks were similarly cut down, this time with a scalpel. The horn wasn't right, so that was changed and the fuel tank needed some work. The toilet retention tank was fitted and the fuel filler gauges in the tank moulding filled and smoothed, before a new gauge was fitted in just the Engineers side in the correct location. Noting the numbers Athearn provide on the cabside were incorrectly white, as luck would have it CN had renumbered it at some stage, so the 4 was white, whilst the 769 were grey. Easy to change, and sealed with matt lacquer.


The adjustments were touched in with paint before weathering began. First step was to think through the process I would follow, how could I use an additive process to represent a removal process? Choosing a matt light grey enamel paint I began by sponging on some patches of worn paint across the edge of the roof line and along the top of the door line. I modified my sponge by cutting it to a more pointed tip before using the same method on the doors. Once fully dry, the same method was used to add some of the dirty brown to the light white zebra stripes and along the blower ducting on the conductors side. More of the pale grey was used by brush to add some of the diagonal fading on the black. Left overnight, the next stage was to tone this down by adding a medium dark grey brown (matt 245) wash over all but the doors that seemed to be still quite clean (check prototype photos). This tied some of the finish together and added some nice panel line detail. I airbrushed the came colour lightly over the whole model, which further softened the edges of the fading. Happy with the results I could then follow my usual weathering methods.


I took the trucks apart and washed the frames in IPA and white spirit to remove the last traces of over oiling that all Athearn models seem to come from the factory with! The trucks were resprayed matt black along with the fuel tank. A wash of matt black and brown (33 and 98) over the walkways and under frame, as well as pilots and ploughs came next, and also along the step wells and reflective yellow striping (where it was wiped off to give a streaked patchy effect to match the photos). Some staining was added around the battery boxes on the lower cab sides too, before dry brushed gun metal 53 on the walk ways and step edges. Finally a mix of 27004, 133 and 245 was airbrushed heavily around the exhausts, and lightly all over the model.


The result is a layout model, I don't think the finish would stand up to close scrutiny but working Beaverbrook it feels right. What is more, it's a real maritime machine so whilst the lovely green TerraTransport models are believable what ifs, this model is a tie to reality. This combination of prototype and freelance blends together to create a backstory that is at least in my mind an equal part of the hobby and something I really enjoy. All my creations fit into this same expression of place, and I hope by adding my hand across all elements the disparate models from different manufacturers, different ages and different qualities, combined with the handmade structures and details of the modelled scene work seamlessly together. I certainly enjoy it. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. great work on the scabby paint. I was lucky enough to be in Canada last week and some of the geeps we saw looked very similar to this - you've captured it brilliantly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it looks better in the flesh than in these photos, I’m happy enough with it! Hope you enjoyed the trip and were lucky to see a few trains!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.