Commission: Yorkshire DE2 in OO…

The Yorkshire DE2 is a diesel electric shunter that was built between 1952 and 1965 largely for the steel industry in the UK, and unfortunately none have survived (the only surviving example was scrapped a few years ago)...


This model has been built from a Judith Edge kit in OO with the kit's own compensation system, Gibson wheels and a High-level gearbox and motor. Assembly has been as per the instructions and the model was good fun to assemble, a challenge but not to tricky.


My customer specified a freelance finish, orange with wasp striping but left the details up to me - which meant that I didn't have to worry about a Round Oak wasp striping scheme and the inherent masking, phew! I decided to carry the orange over onto the chassis sides and stair wells, as well as the wasp striping onto the buffer beams. Each end is a touch different, as the stripes start with a point of black at the centre of the top of the bonnet, and top of the cab. The different heights mean the striping on the buffer beams is different each end, but the overall impact, of the stripes carrying from body to chassis is incredibly effective. A Woodland Scenics dry rub transfer was added to the cab sides, I decided a letter was more interesting than just a number!


Weathering started before the final matt lacquer was applied over the gloss paint. A panel line wash of Humbrol matt 100 (a dull red) was applied wet on wet, and then cleaned off with a moist flat wide brush in a vertical motion. Further dirt was washed in to the grills using Humbrol matt 98 (brown), and used to create rust streaks on the buffer beams. The finishing touch was a dusting of airbrush dirt (my usual 133, 245, 27004 mix) along the centre of the roof, and focused around the exhaust in front of the cab.


The completed model is a lovely little thing, that thanks to the compensation, low gearing, smooth motor, DCC decoder and extra weight is a great little runner. If you have a kit in the drawer you'd like me to assemble for you, or a specific prototype you'd to recreate, why not get in touch for a no-obligation personal proposal. I provide a complete service from sourcing to weathering, all under one roof meaning you have complete control over the end result, even able to design and source custom parts, plates or decals as required. Until next time, more soon...



EDIT: 
This photo was kindly sent to my by regular reader Alan Sewell, see his comment below for more details.




Comments

  1. Your 0-4-0 Yorkshire is looking good and reminded me I saw a couple in the remnants of Round Oak steel works in 1987. I have e-mailed a photo from then which similar loco to the kit. It was one of the Round Oak works locos then working at the steel stock holders in part of the site. I remember I was early for a visit to one of my employers companies and decided to take a chance on visiting. In those days that was not a problem but must have looked incongruous in my suit picking my way over the tracks. This is one of the repainted locos the others were in yellow and black but both were in the overall striping which would be a nightmare to do as a model so I can see you would be happy to do a freelance version

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the photo Alan, I’ve added it to the original post. The round oak livery was certainly distinctive, I hadn’t realised any were painted other than the yellow / black wasp striping, I’d certainly not seen any photos.

      Delete
  2. Without being accused of rivet counting !! the cab in my photo appears lower than on your model. Was anything mentioned in the instructions or is an optical illusion

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing mentioned - in your photo the prototype may be a reduced cab height version? The kit has a section at the bottom of the cab that seems absent on that prototype?

      Delete
  3. The other locos I saw and photographed were same so perhaps a special for Round Oak. Must dig my book on the Pensett railway out and see if there is anything mentioned

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like some at Round Oak had this normal cab:
      https://flic.kr/p/2juxKuk

      Delete
  4. Hi James

    Interesting photos but did not see any of Round Oak. They seen to be the ex-United Steel Company works in Yorkshire. I seem to remember USC owned Yorkshire Engine.
    I agree these show versions which look like the kit and I therefore think the Round Oak units were a special. I went to Stocksbridge but the only had the Janus 0-6-0. However I did "unofficially" visit the steel works at Workington in 1969 ( it was an ex -USC works as well) which had working diesels similar to the kit, as well as some more modern versions. My notes say they were in yellow with dazzle stripes only at the ends so your livery is spot on . I have e-mailed you a couple of photos.

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In which case it looks as if you’re right about the Round Oak one’s then, the photos in my book appear similarly cut down, but no mention of this in the text.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.