To Carrog by 31271...

A chance to ride the Llangollen Railway with Dave yesterday, and what wonderful weather we were blessed with, making the best of a day rover we managed 1 and a half complete runs from the village station, and would have done more if Dave didn't need to get home...

31271 in Railfreight Construction livery, a little tired and less shiny than the 26 and 47, but still smart, arrives at the village as Dave and I wait to join the (busy train). Being able to join a train mid way is so reminiscent of train travel that I'd strongly encourage others to board the train away from Llangollen.

The railway was busy, I hope a sign of financial improvement. Overhearing a few conversations it would seem as if the volunteer workforce are doing a great job, but feeling stretched. With time, I'm sure, will come stability. It was great to see the general public enjoying a ride, but alas a few moans about no steam. You know what? Diesel haulage is as nostalgic for many of us as steam was for the previous generation. I don't think there needs to be any apology for classic diesel traction as long as it's clean, reliable, well turned out and advertised (which the Llangollen Railway tend to do via Facebook, perfect).

Look at that lovely finish, so much weathering information is contained within this frame. Magic.

And what of the locomotive? 31271, a little out of place on the suburban rake - and perhaps blue and grey Mk1s or Mk2s would have been more fitting but she put on a great performance and sounded superb. So nostalgic to hear the English Electric 12SVT prime mover notching up with the train from Pentrefelin towards Berwyn, absolute magic...

The train arriving 'wrong line' at Carrog which suits me as it's quicker to get to the cafe for ice cream!

Normal service will resume next week with more modelling posts, but it has been wonderful to have a few days away from the bench and ride trains of all sizes. I hope you've had a good weekend and enjoy the rest of the day, until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. 

Comments

  1. Personally I'd be happy enough to see a Class 31 in action.

    I'm really wondering if preserved lines will be able to keep running steam locomotives indefinitely, or of it's an attempt to sustain the unsustainable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I’d be more worried about the emissions from all the visitors driving in their individual vehicles to the rail head…

      I think there will be a sustainable way to carry on, if the country and society can evolve to a more sustainable method of personal transportation and I’m not talking about electric cars!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.