Friday Update: Ten Three Twenty-three…

As I’m sure is the case with many of you who reside in the UK I’ve woken today to the second day of snow snow snow. About 8” here but that means schools closed and we’re stuck and the single track lanes are un-passable in my Up!…


Inside the relative comfort of the workshop I’ve been working on the two layout projects, but in the evenings Beaverbrook has continued to entertain. I’ve made a start on this acid tank car that arrived for Christmas, between running it! Weathering something that’s white is tricky, especially when the prototypes seem to stay relatively clean, but slowly it’s coming together. 


I mentioned the layouts, well Bishopsbourne (above) and Shades of Mountain Ash (below) are both into scenic stages as I build up the structures in styrene and add the basic ground forms in polystyrene ceiling tiles. These will be converted in plaster bandages and filler to result in a light weight but solid structure as a base for further scenic work. I’ve also received the backscenes for the layouts but think these will need toning down as I did with Paxton Road when it’s not cold and wet outside!  

 

After the forklift earlier in the week I’ve since painted up a few of the bins that were also in the order from Rusty Rails. These are literally tiny, as you can see so painting them has been interesting. I wasn’t sure a wash would work so resorted to some custom mixed paler colours to dry brush the edges. Hopefully the subtle effect will blend nicely with the layout project when the time comes.


Despite working on two layout commissions work and thoughts continue on the Paxton Road follow up. I’m pretty certain the size will work as intended, and the viewing angles I’m planning allow the layout to feel like three or four different scenes too so once the snow has gone I’ll pick up some wood to make a start on the casework. One thing left to resolve is the relative levels of each track. The front siding will be buried in the road on the right side, so that probably means the track at the back needs to be a touch higher. This should be achievable with cork and card, but will require a sketch I think to get the basic concept straight.


The snow isn’t due to dissipate until later in the weekend, I hope you’re safe and warm wherever you are and can find some rail related downtime over the weekend, even if just watching a video on YouTube or something… I enjoyed this old but good one from a very young Michael Palin, reminded me that Local Hero is still on Channel 4 on demand at the moment as well! 


Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. Not quite as much snow here but it's still pretty inclement, so it looks like this weekend will be Palin weekend. I used to have Full Circle and Pole to Pole on VHS (yeah, I know), it would be rude not to watch those series for nostalgia's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed both these last year, they are a window on a lost time, before the internet, smart phones and social media. Melancholy in me would perhaps say a better time too…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.