It’s in the (small) details (N part 47)…

I sometimes find that collecting stock, details or parts and working on them ahead of a layout project can be a positive experience that stops the malaise of armchair research and moves me into the physical world again…


Of course it’s also a lot of fun anyway, as with the various N scale projects collected around my Industrial OO, odd 009 and Canadian H0. All of these interests and projects mix together here, ideas and experiences cross fertilise and variety keeps my energy and focus high. My most recent meanderings, whilst George and I continue to stall on building baseboards is a third N scale layout, effectively a replacement for the first. Whilst Paxton Road (2) has been a great success I have a few more ideas on presentation and arrangement I’d like to explore. This is a great chance to include some more ‘inspiration’ from the memory banks of real and read examples of the industries and structures in the 1990s. In those memories are stacks of palletised materials - I’m going to need a fork lift…


I couldn’t find anything suitable in the German plastic car manufacturers ranges. I’d seen a few 3D printed one piece models but they felt too small a prototype, so when I was looking for something else and stumbled upon Rusty Rails, run by a pleasant chap called Birch and based here in a North Wales I was excited so find what I was looking for, a kit of a slightly larger example, beautifully created as a 5 piece model. Upon arrival I wafted on some primer and painted it whilst still on the sprue and then cut out and pushed the parts together. Perfect.

This thing is tiny, yet so fine. Certainly as fine as you’d see in etched materials in this size, whilst retaining some level of robustness. It looks at home on Paxton Road, I used a Satin 174 base coat and dry brushed some 82 over the top. Wheel centres are 174 and the fuel gas bottle is 100. The subtle contrast in shades works really well, I will dry brush some gunmetal on the forks next time I have the tin open. 

As a modeller interested more in the craft and composition than strict prototype accuracy, exploring new scales and time periods has been a fascinating journey. The more work I do in N, the more I feel that the opportunities are massive. I will continue to share my experiences here, in the hope that they show both my excitement and energy as well as the possibility you may find working in a smaller scale. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. Heehee... this particular post could almost be written just for me. The armchair research continues (which I confess, I do enjoy), but I should have something in 4mm scale to show for it soon as well. A funny coincidence that I also discovered Rusty Rails this week. That little forklift looks fantastic in situ, equally so on the end of your finger in close-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, look forward to seeing and reading about progress. Is this still on the RMWeb platform rather than a stand alone blog?

      Delete
    2. For 'The Art of Compromise', yes - seems appropriate to keep progress updates within the BRM realm. However, I'm planning to start a seperate blog for other modelling projects. I think the blog format works better for me than videos/vlogs as I feel more at home writing than talking. Incidentally, this post got me thinking that my timber yard will probably need a forklift... off to Rusty Rails.

      Delete
    3. Before you go with the Rusty Rails forklift, just check your period. You might be better with a diesel powered one?

      Delete
    4. Thanks, will do - I had a cursory look but didn't find much info so I appreciate the tip off. There will be a tank of diesel on site anyway, of course, to fuel the yard's Motor Rail 14T ;)

      Delete
  2. So, to follow up, the National Fork Truck Heritage Centre tells me that LPG/Propane started to gain ground as fuel for forklifts in the 1960s. I think I'll still go for diesel, though, as my forklift will solely be operating outdoors - I'm making the assumption that the private owner probably wouldn't have shelled out the extra for the LPG-fueled model as apparently these were more commonly used for working indoors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.