Our hand in reality…

It has almost always been the case that the railway modeller blends some element of pre-made or purchased with scratch built, by its very nature, a model of nature itself cannot come in a box…


So as artists, it is our hand in the composition, the interpretation of subject (location, period, time of year) and the realisation of the model that distinguishes us from one another and other craft based hobbies. 

As I feel between projects (that isn’t to say everything I’m working on is complete, just my mind rests uncomfortably on the question of what next) the comfort of the familiar is useful. Even more so when, with the flick of one switch I can shuffle some wagons around on the small yet remarkably well conceived Paxton Road. Glancing at the layout, getting lost in my creation I don’t see the boundaries of what I made and what I bought, only the result, a slice of somewhere from 1990. 

As Matthieu said this week we find our own way and when we recognise that we’re no longer looking for recipes but practicing ‘our hand’ to interpret the railway, be that through personal or second hand experience, that is art.

Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments