Lochdubh: Scottish highlands in N…

I took a day to myself yesterday, one that I had probably needed for a while…

Whilst I love my job and am enjoying the layout commissions I have been working on recently strangely, or perhaps not so surprisingly, I’ve found their all encompassing nature to drain me of my own personal creativity. I’ve scratched around at a few jobs and played trains but haven’t felt the energy to start Boothstown or Paxton Road 3.


For some time (well 35+ years) I’ve wanted a large logo Class 37. Tim loved Scottish railway’s, my library book education showed me them on the West Highland and Far North, I even had a poster on the wall of my bedroom. Much more recently and with my ‘British Rail’ rebirth through N I’ve watched ‘modern’ Farish ones go for silly money on eBay narrowly avoiding temptation - I don’t need one… 

However, when 37418 appeared for reasonable money last week I’m sure you’ll understand the drive and energy that fuelled its swift purchase. Her arrival and a life long love of all things Scottish 1980s had me digging out old Railway Modellers and watching Hamish Macbeth.


It’s funny the creative ‘mojo’, it waxes and wanes and in my life I’ve learnt to let it ebb and flow like the tide. The arrival of the 37 proved another of those turning points, perhaps fanning the very heart of the flames of my passion for model railways?


Almost as soon as it was purchased a scan of available rolling stock confirmed my fears, if you want Farish blue grey stock you’d better want a break or restaurant, or have very deep pockets! A brake composite felt like it might work as a stop gap, not that any single coach trains were likely hauled by a 37/4, but at least it had all the bases covered and could perhaps double as a part of the parcel train for the Cambrian project! Sat together on the edge of Beaverbrook, picked out by the room lighting my imagination ran wild.


The week, indeed weekend has been spent in the evening with a pen, paper, old books and Flickr on my iPad. I kept coming back round to Kyle of Lochalsh as my first love, inspired by Kylestrome with lashings of Futer’s and a sprinkling of Danny Boyle’s setting of Plockton.


The shelf above my bench now resides under Beaverbrook. It is barely 14cm tall now, meaning that even Paxton Road is too tall. However the available space between shelf brackets was just under 60cm wide, could a small shelf scene, basically non operational but with provision for a small fiddle stick be crafted for this spot? Some 6mm MDF in stock and within an hour the wood was cut and the ‘box’ taped together.


I settled on a scene inspired by Kyle, assuming still a setting that serves the island of Skye. The pier no longer has rails, and the station is a touch more inland compared to Kyle so our scene is compressed. A stub if the old pier siding remains behind the station with a small yard. Fuel oil is delivered by rail for the ferry and fishing fleet, although fish no longer travels by rail. There is even rumour of timber traffic starting up (if anyone does an OTA in N). Otherwise, it’s 1989/1990. The River Ness bridge is still being repaired and 37418 is one of the small fleet at Muir of Ord, serving Lochdubh to the west whilst the new Sprinters ply their trade north to Wick and Thurso.


I’m hoping to get some paint on the box today and I’ve ordered some different LED strip to try out a different colour temperature. I wondered if it needed a cooler look? We shall see! There isn’t much track and not too many structures, it will be nice to have something physical to work on whilst planning and building items for both Paxton Road 3 (more in that later this week perhaps) and the Cambrian project. You’ll notice that it is all N for now as that’s the way the river is flowing, the H0, 009 and industrial OO will feature again when the time comes!


For now it’s lovey to enjoy this model and consider how it is responsible for this renewed energy. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. Hi James, first comment from me though I have been enjoying reading your blog for some months now, all very inspirational. Pleased to hear that you have gotten back into N gauge, I've been modelling in N for about 37 years. The reason for the comments, if you are after an OTA you can't go far wrong with a Chivers OTA kit, they are a delight to build, Chiversfinelines.co.uk. I have no link to them just a happy customer. Cheers, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,thanks for commenting, it’s great to hear from you. Thank you also for the kind words. I was aware of the Chivers kit, I just don’t want N to become OO for me, the whole project has been approached as a ‘out of the box’ approach for locomotives and stock, allowing me to focus on scenery and character. It would be dangerous I think to step beyond that, as these boundaries between the scales and interests I have keep everything in balance. Point taken though… a decent VDA would be great too!

      Delete
  2. Good to see your spark reignited by the new purchase, and I was amused by the name you gave the layout's location - I'm enjoying some nostalgia for one of a handful of series that seemed to be ever-present during the 90s; it's hard to believe so few episodes were made.
    Back to tiny trains... this design ticks a lot of boxes for me; Scottish, large logo 37s, quayside setting, and the prospect of a 37 hauling timber is very appealing. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed a whole episode of Hamish Macbeth last night and whilst still 'fun' it has dated a touch more than some of my other favourites (Father Ted being top of the list, shortly followed by Spaced and Black Books).

      Delete
    2. Yep, like many of that era Hamish hasn't aged brilliantly. We love Spaced and Black Books very much in this house, though, but I must confess that Linehan's more recent outbursts have tainted Father Ted and The IT Crowd for me a little, which is a shame as I used to enjoy them. Anyway, sorry, enough of that - looking forward to updates on Lochdubh.

      Delete
  3. Such great clarity in the development of your plans, their course is always a pleasure to follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean thank you, I tend to try and wait until things have at least some form before sharing them here these days, but equally these 'developmental' discussions I hope encourage others to dive in and follow the same approach. First comment too? Thanks for stopping by and getting involved.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.