Hilton and Mears Fairbanks Morse hunting…

As new EMD power arrived at H&M the Fairbanks Morse days were always numbered…


288 was the last, and by 1980 was just a standby locomotive. She did see use later though and these undated glimpses show her on the mill job, her familiar skeleton log bunks swapped out for 50ft boxes.


This is a model with a real back story. A kind gift from across the Atlantic from Chris (Mears)’s collection, an original Walthers / Roco Austria model. A repaint and some finer details brought her back to life and what’s more a fitting livery for this memory machine. Not first hand memories but those evoked from old video and photographs, sharing a time when the rails sang a different tune, not GE or EMD, not even Alco, but FM.

Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Enjoyed the post on your Fairbanks Morse and the way your cameos can be used to represent different time frames and even locations. I really like those FM H-type switchers, they seem a link between the steam era and the diesel now. The Weyerhaeuser shortlines use of them in the 1950’s-1970’s allows me to use at least one for powering my H0-scale shortline in the early 1960’s. I actually have two. One the early Walthers version like yours, which I had painted and chipped and the later version which was sound equipped. This came in blue and was not unlike the repainted units on the Columbia & Cowlitz so I kept the livery, and just numbered and lettered it for my mill’s shortline the Hartford & Cowlitz. This was the main lokey until it developed a fault and is side-lined awaiting a replacement rear truck. I now use the earlier unit but details are a bit clunky.
    When I visited Washington first in 1989 the units on all the Weyerhaeuser roads had been replaced but my friend the late John Henderson photographed some and he and a friend rode the H12-44 on the White River Branch in the mid 1970’s. Fortunately I have some notes of the trip. I will e-mail them to you along with some photos of the real thing and my H0-version

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Alan, and thank you for the email too… Kinross does well standing in for multiple locations yes, and I do have a soft spot for these locomotives too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.