Commission: A life less MDOrdinary…

Despite prototypically accurate details and paintwork sometimes an out of the box model just doesn’t cut the mustard in the realism stakes, less a factor of finesse and more that of finish…

However, with wagons getting a balance between fidelity and layout quantity is important. What you see here are a trio of Accurascale MDO destined for Shades of Mountain Ash. Arriving box fresh pale grey inside and out (who knew wagons were painted inside! I know later Accurascale batches have come with a rusty brown interior, much better) work has involved washes, patch painting and dry brushing to bring these wagons to life, and represent the, towards the end of their lives.


 

Using my usual range of shades should mean they look right at home on the layout too, and no two are alike, painted ‘at random’ inspired by trawling 16T and 21T photographs online and in photo books. 

 

To get the characteristic rust staining the last step was stippling on a 133/53 rusty mix, and then using a wide flat moistened with thinners brush to drag this down the sides. The results speak for themselves, full of character yet without breaking the bank.

Typically wagon weathering starts from around £30 a wagon for an individual  hand finished model but I can negotiate discounts for volume. If you’d like some help bringing your layout to life then get in touch for a no obligation fixed price proposal using the contact form (top left, in the menu), Facebook or the forums. Until next time, more soon…

Oh and top marks for anyone who can tell me which British band wrote the theme for the critically un-acclaimed film referenced in the title starring a young Ewan McGregor, incidentally the song never featured on any of their albums, sadly, but I’ve a copy on Minidisc copied from my brother’s CD singles many years ago… film poor, song superb.

Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that is was Ash who did 'A Life Less Ordinary'. Not on their albums but on the 'Intergalatic Sonic 7's' singles compilation, which I had to dig out and listen to whist doing some layout planning this afternoon... thank you for the earworm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I Colin, glad at least one of the regulars managed a correct reply! Great track, takes me back!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.