Lochdubh: Fancy an ice cream? (N part 53)…

The little things. Looking at period photographs and soaking up their atmosphere. Considering a composition, colours, shades and textures… 


The fairly pale consistent palette of shades on the building, platform, track, background all feel as one. The red phone box and yellow Ice Cream sign points of colour. Small, rather than dominate they sign post, helping your eyes move through the painting, sorry photograph (!). This same process helps determine other areas of detail. The Post bus has a home now alongside the small warehouse, it and the grit bin adding those small points of colour, consistent colours too, in the overall scene and in this composition.


This thought process is quite organic, whilst I have an overall feel in mind for the layout I don’t have every last detail mapped out. Working through smaller parts in this way is enjoyable and fits neatly into short bursts in the evening. Cataloguing the work as I progress, and sharing it here is part of the same journey and describing my process helps me understand more of what I’m trying to achieve. The art of railway modelling. 

Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments