Ruston 165DE in 12inch to the foot scale…

One of the kits in the Planet Industrials range is the Ruston 165DE (165hp, diesel electric) that utilises a Hornby W4 Peckett chassis as it's donor...


I had used photos of the example preserved on the Kent and East Sussex during the kits development but a few weeks ago, when visiting Steve in Bexhill we had a day out on the railway and my first chance to see the locomotive in person. It was interesting to see the things I think I got right and those small details I will look to change next time we produce a batch of the kits (really only the thickness of the cab roof and a small port in the bonnet for the flush mounted exhaust).


The Peckett heritage of the frames and wheels of the original Ruston design can be clearly seen on  this example, it's funny our own kit mirrors this strange quirk of the prototype. The glimpse of the cab interior may allow me to offer a better detail in that regard. I always felt the kit was a little expensive, but compared to the Heljan / Kernow / Model Rail 0-6-0 version, I think in actual fact our kit is a bargain! 


Still available, for those interested, from Light Railway Stores here. The story of the kits development is here on the blog. Until next time though, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. There's a 165 up the road in Oswestry, isn't there? I'm sure there must be a way to persuade someone to let you look around the cab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down the road, so to speak, and I wasn’t sure if they had this version of DE? If at DE at all?

      Delete
    2. Haha, indeed - very much downhill now you mention it. The website says it is in fact a DE, 0-4-0 version, built in 1963, with Ruston's 6VPH engine, if any of that helps? https://cambrianrailways.com/chr/rolling-stock/ruston-165de/

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the link James

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.