PiChem in N…

Last week I shared photos of one of these lovely Realtrack PCA wagons weathered for cement to use, and teased about the second pair and their faux PiChem livery…


You’ll have seen this models bigger brother in double oh last week on shades of mountain ash, what is PI can? I created this company and it’s fake backstory as a justification for a re-livery on a Hornby Sentinel, this grew through my learning about the Corkickle brake and the Albright & Wilson chemical plant above Workington and today gives me the opportunity to have a little bit of fun with items of rolling stock I like, but that otherwise wouldn’t fit, I even have a wagon on Beaverbrook lettered for PiChem!



So the small and gauge wagons are out of the box, with just custom decals applied to the existing grey finish. I’m not quite sure what powdered chemical they’re carrying but it seems to have had a rather lasting effect on the grey paint leaving a light brown stain which seems to collect dirt more readily than the surrounding paint work. All great fun, and achieved with Humbrol enamels in my usual manner.




Just because we are serious model railway enthusiasts doesn’t mean we can’t inject a little believable reality into our modelling, this can add a lot of depth and personal connection to our art. I personally enjoy this element of historic research and re-imagineering, perhaps it’s something you can consider in your own work? Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments