Creech Barn reprise…

So Creech Barn is finished. With a final push, spurred on by an enthusiast buyer, the micro 009 layout is complete. Yes I could add more, yes, I could have made it more personal but I’m just glad someone wanted to give it a home and I didn’t have to skip it…


It was born of a desire to create a home for a few of my smaller ‘European’ narrow gauge models and inspired from trips to Bredgar and later, Statfold. Home was the same box that had previously housed my earlier 009 project ‘Kisten Torfwerk’. Success? I’m not sure, it was operationally complete for a long time and worked well but something didn’t click for me and it has been stuck, unfinished for a very long time.


Seeing it here, I’m pleased with the composition but reflect that I’ve moved beyond the confines and restrictions of these smaller box layouts. The biggest problem is they get packed away… I struggle enough to remain focused when a layout sits in a shelf in my workshop - put it in a box and out of sight and it’s a miracle it’s as finished as it looks!


What has surprised me throughout its relatively short and sheltered life is how many of you have found inspiration or encouragement from its compact form. I suppose looking at these photos now I can see the appeal and I pleased it has been able to influence others on their journey. For now, it is comforting to know it will be loved in a new home and I can focus on some new ideas, new schemes and new projects. As always, the Layography proves to be a fantastic record of layouts past and present, I have forgotten many of these - it’s always good fun dipping into some of the projects of the past. 

This week I’m away from the bench so I hope these rather disparate and random posts continue to entertain, normal service resumes shortly. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments

  1. I've just had a browse through the layography section James, I was a little startled to see you still have ten (!) layouts in the house, I know they are compact though.
    I had Penpont driers out on the desk the other day, it still feels surreal to own it, 08113 looks great.
    Enjoy your time away from the bench.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst this one didn't quite "click" for you James, I still hope you get a degree of satisfaction knowing that the layout is going to a good home, where it will be cherished.

    I have just spent an enjoyable half an hour going through the layography once more. It always provides inspiration! Kisten Torfwerk remains one of my favourites.

    Enjoy the time away from your workbench. I hope it provides both a physical and mental break from the day to day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.