Commission: North Western Jinty…

Regular readers will be aware of my ‘non-Thomas face’ policy but I do enjoy creating custom liveries and felt this latest example sat as much in that latter category as the former - so let me introduce North Western 401…


This began life as a Bachmann Jinty. I carefully stripped the model down to its component parts and removed the markings, primed and painted in a bright mid blue Humbrol enamel. After detail painting the black, red and metal fittings I applied some gloss lacquer to allow me to add the red Fox 0.35mm red lining.


The customer NWR are in Gill Sans but adjusted for that sign written hand painted feel. I drew up the decal design and had these made, printed in an ‘old gold’ shaded red and black. They really lift the model but the finishing touch is definitely the Light Railway Stores ‘Custom Nameplate Studio’ plates - these really add a finesse I’d have struggled to find anywhere else - and include the smokebox plate. A coat of satin lacquer sealed this all from later degradation and gave the model a pleasing overall finish.


Stepping back, I’m really pleased with the finish. It is ‘box fresh’ and intended to mimic ready to run, to blend with my customers collection, seamlessly feeling part of it. 

If you’d like me to refinish one of your collection, get in touch for a no obligation fixed price proposal. Until next time though, more soon…



Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments