GP for general purpose…
This Walthers ex-Lifelike GP38-2 doesn’t know what it started. Purchased shortly after the F7s and Budd in this latest Canadian adventure the intention was to recreate not only my Dad’s Athearn blue box GP38-2 from childhood but also the examples he saw at Sutherland Yard, Saskatoon in the late 1990s…
So a model heavily drenched in sentimentality… but actually working on her, reminding myself about the difference between an EMD and GMD built example, remembering the scratch-building and kit bashing I did as a teenager and of the very personal model that results has been already, deeply rewarding.
This isn’t just a make over, it’s almost like I’m modelling myself.
She sits here with promise. Unfinished, plenty more to look forward to, showing a little of what I hope to achieve. This isn’t just a make over, it’s almost like I’m modelling myself. Each step, each decision a window on my soul and to those who have learnt to read my models, it will tell them everything. To others, I hope, it shows a passion for the prototype, for the memory of the man and model who inspired it and for the craft and art of model-making.
Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.
James.