Dyfrdwy Tramway: slab wagon...

Back in 2017 when I started out in 7/8ths, I started talking with Si Harris of Model-earth fame who was very helpful and encouraging, and has since then become someone whom I'd regard as a modelling friend. Anyhow, back then we were also talking about Brian Clarke as he had found a sketch somewhere but not seen the whole 'Slate Railway to Churchwater' book. I fashioned him a digital copy of some of the drawings and we discussed ideas on how to create the feel...
Initially I was working with the original 'Budget' range from Model-earth, in fact a lot of my own stock uses this as a basis and was inspired by Brian's book. However, in parallel Si began working on some 15" 1/12 scale models using 32mm gauge only and has since released a small range based around this chassis in his 'Churchwater' range.
I was initially concerned about the 1/12 vs 7/8ths issue, worrying that the increase in bulk would make the model not suitable for my own modelling - however having seen one in the flesh last weekend at Llanfair I decided I could definitely make use of one and picked up the slab wagon from Si at his stand. I do like working on my own models in the evenings, and this seemed a great chance to make quick progress on something. First impressions are good, some nice coupling sin brass, neat white metal axle boxes and very smart turned axles with binnie wheels giving a nice chunky appearance.
I have lightly re-worked mine when I came to assemble it, by swapping out the small 24mm disc wheels for 30mm spoked wheel sets. This has raised the height a touch and more inline with my other stock, although still very low compared to the Welsh slate slab wagon I built back in 2017 from another Model-earth kit. Painting and finishing followed my usual technique, a solid coat of Humbrol 72, dry brushing with a lighter shade, then rubbing a dark brown into the grain before wiping most off... lettering is by Posca pen.
A nice quick project but one that will be very useful for the railway. Now this is done I must get back on with the brakeman project. More soon...

Comments