Dyfrdwy Tramway: Timber on the line...

I've been working on a 'forestry commission' train now for nearly 12 months, and today I was finally able to test something out on the line...
A few months ago I finally finished the first of a pair of bolster wagons based around the Model-earth budget skip wagon chassis. I designed parts in 2D CAD and had them laser cut to allow a precise and accurate bolster to be constructed.
However, I had forgotten to cut a second set of parts so work stalled!
Earlier in the week I visited Steve and we cut a second set out on his laser - and this morning I stuck it together to allow me to load it up with logs and see if it worked in the garden. Obviously real logs are pretty heavy, this set of three were cut last autumn and look perfect loaded up, but their weight certainly was a good test. They worked perfectly, and followed the contours and curves of the tramway with ease.

It was also a test for my Simplex, which has been re-chassis'd with one of my own design having grown frustrated with the worm drive of the original on the steeper sections of my line. The new micro motor and gearbox, despite it's small size, seems to have BAGS of torque and handled the load both up and down with no problems.

I need to finish it off now, and find some turnbuckles to allow me to use chains to tie the logs down rather than elastic bands... and then I can get on with the new brake/crew van over the winter.
More soon...

Comments