Prototype: Dinas Mawddwy

When I bought the book about the Kerry branch, that I visited previously, I was also very taken with the atmospheric Mawddwy railway...

Today with lovely blue skies my partner and I took the day off and drove over to Dinas Mawddwy, in particular the old railway station, now a woollen mill, shop and cafe. There is plenty left despite the line being closed in the early 1950s, including the platform and station building, gates, water crane and weigh bridge building, and the atmosphere is lovely with the blue skies, I imagined stepping out of the branch train
Stood on the old trackbed looking towards the former station, a lovely scene, especially with the tall fir trees...
The water crane, still standing - R Kitchen off Warrington on a plate on the side...
I believe this was the old weigh bridge building, it would make a lovely little workshop for someone if restored...
We walked up the path to 'Arthur's stone' and saw the old trackbed, now with power lines on it, but still pretty much intact and clear to see on the ground.

Next time I visit, I will try and spend more time and drive down the road to Aberangell and see if I can see anything left of the old Hendre Ddu tramway, another line that has inspired parts of my own garden railway here in the Dee Valley. Well worth a stop, to soak up the character and imagine the past, and a beautiful drive over the pass from the Cross Foxes south of Dolgellau. More soon...

Comments