East Works: Greening up...

East Works has taken a few major steps forward over the weekend. The track has been laid for a while, but I've been putting off the scenery as I'd not worked out the order of scenic steps and when to fit the back scene... So I decided first things first and work out the rest as I go...
So that meant making a start and the base needed to cover up the paint with some ground cover - I used some 30 year old Woodland Scenics ground foam - both fine earth blend and coarse turf yellow and burnt grass, all secured with somewhat newer Scenic Cement.
This obviously transformed the layout and after a night to dry I decided to cut down the back scene to check it fits - here shown pegged in place. This was then removed and I added the static grass (actually shown above after this was applied and the back scene was re-attached). I used my aging Green Scenes Flok-it, as well as the Peco-scene precision applicator, along with Mini-natur 4.5mm fall and 6mm winter grass, along with some Peco-scene 2mm fibres in between the road ruts and around the track in a few places.
The buildings were repositioned for a few 'test' shots - and they look just what I had in mind... the back scene blends with the foreground quite nicely, very similarly to Creech Bottom, and the subdued grass colours don't look too garish. With that encouragement I dug out the old trees...
...and began to mock these up - at this stage the back-scene is still not fixed so there are just posed in place for effect. I'm hoping for a bit of dry weather tomorrow to allow me to use the spray glue to fit the back scene. More soon...

Comments