East Works: We have light...

Well, with the deadline approaching work continues at a quicker pace than usual, however a major milestone again yesterday when the layout's top cover was fitted and lighting added...
It was Michael Campbell who recommended the source of these LED strip lights, and I wanted to try something similar as they seemed to offer an easy and reliable way of lighting consistently and eliminating shadow on the back scene. I went for the natural white, variety and laid a strip along the front edge, and then 'near' the back, positioned to remove shadow on the backscene by trial and error. They are sticky backed but I've glued them as well just in case, and added a socket for the power supply that sticks up through the lid. So what do they look like?...
Off of course, here in a darkish room, and note I still need to paint the fascia!...
...and on! Wow! A real transformation, even very natural looking light across the layout, helping blend the back scene and foreground...
...you can see here the lighting in place inside the cover, totally invisible to the outside, and nice and even lighting...
...here is a shot under the layout lighting which shows the effect I had wanted, the feel of a warm summer's day, evenly lit, enough light at the front to avoid the shadow hiding detail on the stock at the front of the layout. I'd definitely recommend these strips, not cheap, but on a micro layout affordable. I've still got 3m of my reel left, enough for a second layout in the near future. More soon...

Comments