Reading material...

I thought I'd share some recent books and magazine that have been spending a lot of time in my hands between model making at the moment...

NARROW GAUGE AND INDUSTRIAL
First of all, I'm proud and honoured that Creech Bottom has made it into the Review. When I built the layout I never imagined it would grace the pages of such a wonderful magazine, not just in content through it's editorial, but also the design ideal and it's look and feel. Roy has done a great job with my words and photos and it's an article I will treasure forever as the lasting memory of this layout now it has been replaced with East Works. Plenty of other great articles this month too, if you don't have a subscription why not?

NARROW GAUGE IN COLOUR
As well as this magazine, I picked up a copy of the Narrow Gauge Album by Michael Whitehouse recently. This has been on my 'must get' list for a few months, but I'mr really pleased I picked it up at last because it's just packed with wonderfully evocative photos, not just of trains but their environment and people - and the fact it's colour is just such an added bonus. The slate quarries have a wonderful charm as do the fledging preservation efforts, the ironstone line and Bowaters keeping things industrial whilst the Irish narrow gauge is not something I've ever been too interested in before but infact this book has sparked an interest that I need to follow up on at some point... Well worth getting yourself a copy, I got mine at the Ffestiniog shop at Porthmadog, but it's available online from many booksellers or direct from the publisher too...
LINK: Narrow Gauge Album from Lightmoor Press

INDUSTRIAL RAILWAYS
Finally, the industrial bug has definitely bitten, and I picked up a second of Gordon Edgar's wonderfully evocative books - this time on the North East. I used the photos as reference for the Austerity weathering completed recently, and the wagons will inspire some standard gauge modelling projects in the near future. I eagerly await the Wales volume, hopefully due sometime soon, but in the meantime a few of these are on offer at Amazon for less than £16 delivered, a real bargain and a wealth of inspiration.
LINK: Gordon Edgar on Amazon
I hope this has been of interest, especially with Christmas lists being drawn up shortly... normal modelling service will be resumed shortly!

Comments

  1. Narrow Gauge Album sold itself to me on the IOM photos, but once you open it, the rest are amazing too. Possibly the book of the year.

    NG&I is pretty good this time too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.