Prototype: Chatham Dockyard...

With a few hours to spare last Friday I nipped across to Chatham Royal Dockyard. Apart from an enjoyable few hours spent walking around the two ships and a tour of the submarine, it was full of inspiration for my 00 scale micro layout in terms of inlaid track and industrial architecture. 

I've taken a few photos here, of things of interest, but I don't intend to write very much, and hope the photos speak for themselves. It will be interesting to see if any of these end up in inspiring structures on my own project...

These two buildings (above and below) were part of the pump house, and full of character with their modifications over time and pipework, signage, different styles of window etc etc.
Outside one of the warehouses lies a short stretch of 18" gauge plate trackwowrk, this appears to be on the formation of the old line, but I'm not sure if it's original or just placed here.
In the childrens play area (groan) is the loco works where a pair of diesels and some stock reside - the Planet was good to see, as I may do a limited edition of the OO scale Narrow Planet model with the modified radiator and air vents on the bonnet.
Over in the main display area I found this Ruston 20DL...
...and some other standard gauge stock. All in all a good place to visit and worth the entry fee in my opinion. If I lived closer I'd go back with the kids for sure. More soon...


Comments