21st century white metal kit: finishing...

The Hardy's Hobbies Hudswell Clarke I was building has been on the workbench for a few days on and off since I last posted about it and for now it's finished and has been an interesting and rewarding exercise...
As a kit designer and model maker I find it's always good to build other people's kits to 'keep my hand in' - it gives a fresh perspective on my own ideas, and helps formulate plans for future models. In my previous post I shared how I had taken the raw ingredients and gently personalised the model by replacing the water filler and adding a dome, along with repositioning the handrail. The model primed and ready for painting.
LNER Doncaster green was chosen and sprayed all over the body (the roof here is still a place holder, the original from Hardy's just balanced and unpainted - it will be replaced with a brass or thin styrene example). The footplate, smokebox and cab interior were painted matt black, the buffer beams in red (Humbrol 174) and the safety valve and window spectacles picked out in brass. Notice also, the buffer heads from the Hornby model are a simple press fit in the buffer housing once drilled to 1.4mm - and a great deal more realistic than the 3D printed ones - a simple and easy mod, even for the beginner.
I designed some custom lining transfers - these will need some slight adjustment to the cab side and bunker side ones, but they went on easily and really add something to the model. The model is lettered for the fictitious 'West Dorset', and will shortly be heading off to a good young friend and fellow modeller as a gift towards his new project. Since the model came to me for nothing, and I've had fun working on her, it seems only fair that I pass it on to someone who can make better use of her than I can. 
So am I convinced? I think so - there have been negative comments about these 'all in one' models on various groups and forums and I wanted to see for myself, share my experiences and hopefully encourage a few modellers along the way. What I've found is a clever piece of design, that fitted the Hornby donor chassis with only light modification, producing, with some care to the finish, a neat model that anyone could be proud of - yes there are things that I would change if I were doing it myself - I'd use a 3D core and etched overlays for the cab, a separate casting for the chimney, and probably some other tweaks to up the detail - but that would also increase the cost, and the complexity. This kit is not designed for people like me, it's encouraging people to dig out a paintbrush and have a go at something rather than out oft he box ready to run - for that Andrew and his team should be applauded - I wish them all the best and would happily build more of these if there are any commissions out there who are nervous about obtaining a good finish.

Thanks for the opportunity Andrew - and I hope you approve of the model going to a new deserving home. 

In the meantime, now the Peckett has arrived I can measure it up for my own plans - more on that another time! More soon...

Comments

  1. I think these are a wonderful idea. I do like the concept, found in the plastic kit world, of basic models being capable of being built out of the box, but with super-detailed multimedia (PE, resin etc) packs available to enhance them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James - yes indeed. I would worry about upping the complexity of this style of kit, but hope to cater for the next level with the Planet Industrials models.

      Delete
  2. Looks superb! Much appreciated James, can't wait to see how it looks on the West Dorset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see you weather it! I hope you can find a Peckett for a reasonable amount to use fo the donor chassis.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.