21st century white metal kit?

As a teenager I built a white metal kit of a GWR 16xx Pannier, and since I've worked on 009 white metal kits along side developing an approach and style to my own kits for Narrow Planet, EuroNG, 6point5 and most recently Planet Industrials...

I have noticed a new company, Hardy's Hobbies offering a modern take on the beginners kit - taking a ready to run chassis and a basic 'plonk on body', very familiar to me in 009. I was interested in seeing if this beginners kit could be breathed upon to raise it's standard and finish to pass muster against other more serious offerings. Andrew, of Hardy's, offered to send me one for free on the basis I write about my experiences, so this is the first instalment.
The kit, a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0st is designed to use a Hornby Peckett B2 chassis. Above is what you get, a one piece body, including all fittings, a sprue of detail parts and some bags of wire and handrail knobs etc. 
The body is a neat piece of design, however the low cost can be seen in the production. The front and back of the cab, tanks, bunkers etc have some layering, the result of the angle of the print in the resin tank one assumes, I've seen similar on our own Planet Industrials prints when we've not used the best orientation for a part. In addition, the sides of the cab and tank are particularly uneven, and there is some visible sagging in the side tank. Printing in resin can have this effect if using a lower resolution, and quicker processing time. However, I was confident with time that all this could be rectified in finishing, and the general kit detail looked like it would reward a bit of careful finishing. 
First of all, how to tackle the cab and tank sides? I used a sanding stick to smooth these, taking as much resin off as necessary to get a flat surface. This actually had the effect of sharpening up the edges of the cab as well. However, the tank was still a little lower in the middle so a careful application of filler was necessary here. To smooth the cab front and rear, tank front and rear, buffer beams and around the smoke box door I used a round edged needle file, and gently worked my way over the surface until it was smooth. The point could also be used to scribe an edge around the spectacles, smokebox door and along the footplate edges.
This stage cannot be underestimated in the final finish achieved. Over the years, working with 009 models, if you skimp this finishing you'll suffer from poor finish showing through the paintwork. I was happy enough it was smooth enough, at least for a first primer coat, I moved onto details.
I wanted to change the print a little, and represent a favourite of mine, the Slough Estates examples. I removed the water filler from the centre of the tank, and replaced this with the top of a white metal dome I had left over from the L&LLR project in 009. An RT Models water filler was added to the front of the tank. I added some plastic strip to the smokebox for door hinges (although I note Andrew offers a model with these in the range) and the handrail holes were filled, and re-drilled higher up the tank. The smokebox door handle was fitted, a neat white metal fitting, brass wire supplied was used for the cab door handrails - I notice I need to add a grab iron below the water filler. I also removed the buffer heads, and drilled the centres - the plan is to fit the turned metal buffers from the Hornby kit in place, but I've not got the chassis here yet. Next up I'll be designing some custom transfer sheets for the lining, as well as some etched parts, probably name plates, works plates, new roof, possibly spectacles. I hope this goes to show, that these beginner kits aren't just for beginners, but also that a beginner can use this as a spring board to more serious alterations and model making.

There are things I'd change - and I've spoken to Andrew about perhaps considering this in future kits. To me the chimney could easily be a detail part, as well as the buffers, which would more easily allow replacement with brass or white metal castings. I also believe some work could be done in the cab to think the walls around the spectacles and edges to improve the appearance.

However, on the whole, I would recommend the kits to both the new-comer and a more experienced modellers looking for a relatively easy project. I'll write more about finishing in a future post. More soon...

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed Harry, I wonder what she'll be finished as...

      Delete
  2. I must admit I've been tempted by this. The problem with starter kits today comapred to the days of whitemetal lumps is the price of the RTR chassi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - the same with 009 though. You don't get a good performing chassis for much less than £100 these days in any gauge or scale. Still, although this sounds a lot, as a percentage of average salary I don't think the current crop of models is any more expensive than the somewhat under par offerings of my teens from Lima and early Bachmann...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.