Friday Update: Twenty-six Six Twenty...

It's been a busy week here with delivered from etch supplier, 3D printing supplier and transfer supplier - along with making progress on a few long standing projects that allowed one or two to be completed...
This Lyd2 in 009 has been a long build - the Grafar 08 shunter received a replacement 3D printed chassis, that works a charm, but it had no rods. I etched replacement rods and side frames - these were trial fitted and success, all wheels turn under power, as smoothly as out of the factory. The only problem is the fly crank - I suspect I have the measurements of this slightly out, so the 3D printed crank must have a different throw to the Grafar rods, as it locks up - so for now has been removed whilst I think on what to do with it. 
I've been working on custom transfers again, this time a set for a rake of coal wagons for Scunthorpe. Working from prototype photos and model for dimensions these custom transfers are now produced and on their way to the customer - the proofs shown below are pictured on one of my own wagons. The prototype were blue with white markings, faithfully recreated in miniature.
As well as the 1920s era Terrier, I've somehow aquired a second for a late 1950s era on the light railway project. I've always had a soft spot for Terriers and these Hornby models are well priced and very lovely indeed. The plan will be to name the green one and then paint the edges of the rims on the black one before weathering the pair of them...
You may have spotted yesterday the completion of the Manning Wardle in 006.5 - this cute model is seen here again, this time with the prototype, my own model in darker green. We're hoping this model will be released shortly - I just need to tweak the instructions slightly now, the etches should be available imminently. 
I mentioned the 3D prints were back too, the prototype parts for a certain 009 narrow gauge model arrived... the saddle tank and smokebox will become masters for white metal castings - as will the lovely turned chimney. The footplate will be etched, and the cab will receive overlays. The chassis fits, it needs a few tweaks and a second version printing before I can assembly a complete 'prototype' but it's exciting and should be a great model for the Narrow Planet range in our 10th anniversary.
Another prototype, the first one that won't require etches, as a trial, this is a two part print that fits on the Busch NS2 chassis. It's a peculiar prototype, a Theakston Ubique, drawn from photographs to suit the chassis rather than being a true scale model, it's a similar engine to the Ruston Proctor but a lot shorter and a touch taller. The print needs a little cleaning up before painting.
Finally for this mammoth Friday update, my first item of light railway rolling stock - an ex Midland 3 plank (from a Slaters kit) built, painted and lettered for the West Dorset - inspired by wagons on the WC&P. This combines my own designed WD letters with GWR script for the weight. I plan on building a few similar items for a period 1920s train - light railway stock often seemed to be ex-mainline and so this pre-grouping example is perfect for the period.
I hope you've had a good week and that the weekend ahead is a relaxing one. Schools back on limited coverage next week in Wales, so looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet on Monday. More soon...

Comments

  1. Just a note to anyone who is trying to post comments but struggling, today I found there is a check box in Safari that was preventing me to reply and comment on others blogs. If you go in Preferences, Privacy - you need to UN-TICK the box 'prevent cross site tracking'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    Would you be selling the parts for the Worsley works Lyd2 chassis at some point? I have one of these to do and was trying to get hold of an earlier chassis that is no longer available, so would be interested.

    Thanks,

    Phil Mortimer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil get in touch using the contact form or Facebook page and I’ll give you a price - and some provisos about the workability of the parts...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.