Friday Update: Two Ten Twenty-six…
Good morning, an early start today with a bumper update! Pre-coffee here, but I won’t object if you get yourself one now, let’s take a look at the workbench this week…
The weathering book is slowly progressing, things are shaping up nicely and I’ve enjoyed quite a number of the projects included. Many of these will be for sale when the book is finished, I must add, and a full list will appear in time. I picked up this Bachmann class 47, the penultimate locomotive to weather, because of the Lima example shared in Martyn’s original. I’ve done the first step on the finish, on this side, a basic wash on the underframe, much more to do, but I do love a 47, I do love triple grey… maybe this one is a keeper?
How many times have I mentioned this scratch built 16mm rail bus over the past 9 months! It is so very nearly there now and working through the paint shop at the moment. Finished in an LNER inspired ivory and green, I’ve drawn up some lettering and numbers which I hope will give the finishing touch.
These Rapido OO gauge models are wonderful! Left to right we have my etched roof fitted to the beginning of a Manning Wardle as built livery on ‘Newcastle’, faded blue (actually BR blue at this stage, but will be weathered) ‘Ringing Rock’ and then a gentle rework of Forward as ‘Axo’… I’ve another pair to rework at some point too… we still have a handful of the cab etches in stock at Light Railway Stores.
Finally, commission wise this week, has been progress on the Judith Edge etched brass kits - with three (yes, my Class 01 now has a gearbox too) High Level gearboxes assembled. A key milestone and all three silent and smooth as always… wonderful design.
So a busy week in the workshop and I realised tool that we are now in the Uckfield count-down! I’m driving down a two weeks today for a long weekend - hopefully I’ll see a number of you again at the show and I won’t go brain dead plating with Coalbridge Street, a shelf layout designed for 10 minute operation!
With the computer on, for decal design, I have also fired up the 3D CAD - and taken a look at a few projects, some old and some new and some hopefully of interest! First up, Light Railway Stores secured a batch of ‘chassis’ from the recent release from Rapido - the plan was always to design a kit (or two) in our multimedia style to release under the Narrow Planet banner. The most requested model, in recent times, has been the Beyer-Peacock ‘ish which was a limited run model produced a few years ago now using a batch of Minitrains chassis we’d secured. Some minor adjustments show the basic model will fit, but I’ve taken the opportunity to raise the boiler height and extend the tanks which help disguise the workings. These tanks will be hollow, as is the smokebox, to allow plenty of weight to be included where it’s needed, over the wheelbase. A pony truck needs crafting to squeeze under the cab, this may mean the model is slightly stretched too, to give a touch more space for this… watch this space…
All this thought of kits reminded me of the glacial pace of my 00-12 models! With this in mind I resolved to take a look at what needs to happen to make these ready for release - and whilst we are at it, start on a second locomotive project. This is, I’m sure you’ll recognise, inspired by a Black Hawthorn design - I can’t find any drawings but I’ve used plenty of photos to get the basic proportions right - and will now go on to finer design work before etch design, it uses several elements carried over from the Manning Wardle so will be just as successful, I hope. Talking of the MW, I’ll be doing a second model with different cab arrangements in time. All of these models will be batch kits, we’ll open pre-orders for a few weeks, and then make an enough to cover these plus a few extras, never to be repeated.
Talking of Manning Wardles, a trio to share…
With the push on the OO-12 I’ve finished off the prototypes for promotional photographs - the locomotive has a few extras fitted (which will be described in the instructions, all being well) and named suitably. The wagons now have Greenwich couplings fitted too - just a few more small steps before we can open pre-orders for them both! It will hopefully have been worth the wait…
Hopefully there will be an opportunity for some modelmaking of my own this weekend once again - or at the very least a chance to play trains… I trust you’re all well and have the time to indulge your own hobby as well. In the meantime that wraps up things here - as always, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.








What a busy and varied week James!
ReplyDeleteI'm delighted to see the 00-12 kits are getting closer. I await the pre-orders opening with bated breath. I've picked up a couple of the Hornby chassis over the summer and have lots of ideas buzzing round my head with regards to layout plans!
Have a nice and hopefully restful weekend.
Take care.