Porthgain in 009: boiler fittings...

So with my Kerr Stuart Haig now in primer, thoughts turned again to the Andrew Barclay so I dug out my reference material, two books and some 'souvenirs' from the quarry...
This evening I wanted to fabricate the dome/safety valve assembly, but before I could start I hollowed out and fitted the chimney.
The dome is formed from a section of styrene tube. To get a flare at the base I did my usual trick of heating up my knife handle and then pushing the tube on to it. This was then tidied up with a needle file. The safety valve assembly, a reject casting that Brian Madge sent to me an age ago when I built the Waril, is recessed from the top surface, and fixed with superglue. I think it's ok, perhaps a little larger in relative proportion, but not far off the originals size so I'm happy and can now move onto the finer details AND the dreaded curve at the back of the cab bunker! More soon...
The stones are from Pen Clegyr quarry - where Porthgain hauled her loaded stone wagons from, to the crushers at Porthgain harbour. A wonderful visit to some industrial heritage if you're ever in Pembrokeshire it's worth a visit...

Comments

  1. I visited Porthgain about twenty years ago and couldn't believe how fascinating it was- I have always fancied building a model, but now I can vicariously enjoy your very fine work. The loco looks wonderful- nice to see it with the bits of stone from the quarry. Good luck with the bunker...and I must get back to Porthgain :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.