Hudson Hunslet: first finished models...

The first pair of Hudson Hunslets to be 'finished' are shown here on my garden railway, and I'm really proud of them both...
What I love is how two near identical models can take on such different personalities, different again from my own cabless model. Not just the cab but the paint work and finish, showing that despite buying a 'production' model from me, my customers truly get unique models.
The first here is a 'Hare Crag' cab finished in yellow. My customer originally specified yellow all over but I suggested a black chassis and wasp stripes. The yellow is three coats of gradually lighter yellow to achieve the faded look, and the models been weathered with washes, dry brushing and detail painting.
I particularly like the subtle scrapes with fresh rust staining - and the rust edges picked out with a touch of metal. If this was a 32mm gauge model I'd be loathed to let it go as it just looks so right on my tramway.
The second is a Trefor cab, finished (at the moment at least) in out of the works condition - although I think it may have a little 'lived in' dirt and dry brushing added.
The more traditional maroon crimson colour really looks great on the taller cab, and the red buffer beams look very smart indeed. I particularly like how the tall cab is accentuated by the round porthole windows, flush glazed with precision laser cut windows.

Both models will shortly be at their new homes, making way for the next pair in the paint shop and time to crack on with the rest of the 45mm gauge batch.

I am considering a further run of the model in 2020, alongside the new Ruston Proctor (in 7/8ths) and the 24hp Hudson Hunslet (in 16mm). If you're interested get in touch via Facebook, the contact page on my blog or one of the Forum messaging services.

More soon...

Comments