More Pannier progress...

Back in May I shared photos of my trio of Pannier's in OO gauge destined for a GWR branchline inspired by the Bala branch in North Wales...

5774 is a Bachmann model that has only had a light re-working to improve it's appearance. As well as adding the missing handrail to the footplate, I also added RT Models sanding levers and Narrow Planet plates - and in the last post she appeared with a heavy weathering job reflective of the condition of the prototype in the 1950s.
More recently I have dug the model back out to add the finishing touches. A crew from Model-u have been painted and fitted into the cab, secured with a little PVA where there arms rest on the cab side. I've also used a Model-u lamp on the spare lamp irons at the side of the cab.
One area of the weathering I am really pleased with is the foot prints on the top of the tanks, added by scuffing the weathering with a blunt cocktail stick, a la Martin Welch.
On the other side a RT Models white metal oil can in a fairly typical position, the buffer beams feature screw link couplings from Smiths (as I intend to use these I've gone for the overcall hook option) and white metal hoses from a variety of sources (MJT for the steam pipe, and Lanarkshire for the vacuum pipe IIRC). On the back of the cab are Shirescenes etched tools, the shovel being slightly bent and shaped with pliers, and a Springside bucket - as well as a bunker of real coal.
These small touches really finish off the model and now it all needs is a layout! One day, perhaps next year now, more soon...

Comments