Friday Update: Seventeen Seven Twenty...

This week has been pretty busy and the world seems to be returning to some sort of normal. A few commissions making progress ahead of a batch of Hudson Hunslet, and the summer holidays are looming...
However, first things first... back at Christmas I started work on a 006.5 micro peat layout - but didn't finish. One of the stumbling blocks in my mind was the lack of stock, however, now thanks to Narrow Planet I have a pair of these neat etched peat wagon bodies. I didn't get the chassis as I wanted to re-use the Busch chassis I had already. The etched bodies are delicate and even with a hold and fold I found it difficult to assemble them squarely but I added extra dents afterwards anyway, as these would not have stayed straight for long! Once the holidays start the plan is to make progress on the peat layout once Pont-y-dulais is finished.
The RT Models Sentinel has been a great model to build, I've really enjoyed it. I've made a fair bit of progress but not since last week - I added the foot steps and re-railing bars this week, a few etched bits I still plan on soldering but things like the handrails and windows will be superglued in place. This will probably slow down in future weeks - so I need to push on with it! 
I've just finished this absolutely wonderful book by Brian Hart - the K&ESR and Colonel Stephens are a new interest for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed the way this book was written, as well as the subject and photography. It's not an amazing book when you pick it up and flick through, but it draws you in with the mixture of style and subject. Totally recommended! I've got a copy of the Wild Swan Selsey Tramway book to read next...
In terms of commission work this pair of Tralee and Dingle coaches have been moving along - the open 3rd was just a simple strip down and repaint - I took the opportunity to refine the finish of the roof and some of the soldering. The brake composite was from kit, a mix of the Branchlines kit and a Worsley Works scratch aid body kit. This was detailed with parts from the Branchlines kit. The lovely Branchline bogies were 12mm gauge and much too tall for the smaller (H0?) sized locomotives so I have lowered them on Peco L&B wagon bogies. Finished in BR crimson and BR coach grey roofs, with handles picked out in brass. Next up glazing and then a light weathering...
Finally this week, the Lyd2 is progressing and now has it's basic finish complete. The red pin striping was added with a bow pen, there are few spots that need touching up but the photo is a cruel close up of a model that looks lovely in the flesh. The plates are customs from Narrow Planet - the chassis, as described previously, a re-worked Farish 08 with a replacement chassis block and rods.

I hope you've had a good week, and thanks to those who have been in touch with words of encouragement either about kits and projects or just in general. Enjoy the weekend, I'm looking forward to some downtime... more soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James, an interesting and inspiring read as ever. The Brain Hart KESR book is a gem. I'm sure you'll find Laurie's book on the Selsey Tramway, although written in a different style, as inspiring, particularly Volume 2 with the route description and the very detailed information about locomotives and stock. Currently building one of the ex Lambourn valley carriages myself. I hope you find something to inspire a future kit.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, yes looking forward to the next book! Not sure whether I’ll venture into light railway kits, maybe... do fancy a K&ESR no 8...

      Delete
  2. Now, if you did ... well, let's just say that I find temptation difficult to resist (as the many NP offerings in my collection go to prove).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what RT Models do. Their parts list is a little treasure trove as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes James, always add a few details when buying anything from them...

      Delete
  4. Those peat wagons look rather good on the Busch chassis. Even I find them difficult to fold though, although believe me when I say these are an order of magnitude easier than the first prototype etch was!

    Looking forward to seeing the peat mirco progress a little, will be great to see the Keef and the wagons together on a suitable layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, yes it will be a neat little layout. Planning a wintry scene to try out another scenic style!

      Delete
  5. I built one of the Sentinels for BRM a few years ago. Really nice looking model, although I recalls some of the bits were too fine for the etching process. https://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/12442026334/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat finish on yours their Phil, I’m planning a livery inspired by this one:
      https://flic.kr/p/HKjCAD
      Although lettered for a fictional company.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.