Planet Industrials: Cut down Peckett...

When I drew up the design for the Peckett post-date kit, I did wonder if you could take the concept one stage further and do a cut down reduced height cab...
Well, it turns out the answer is yes... I bought a second donor model, so I could take photos for the instructions anyway. Once dis-assembled I took a razor saw to the chassis and cut out the footplate either side of the firebox extending to the cab rear. This was then used as a basis for working out this project.


Using the drawing from the IRS website I scaled it down to 1:76 and worked out which dimensions needed to change vs the original design I had done for the Peckett. The W4 is a little short in the boiler amongst other differences, so I'd like to stress this isn't a 100% accurate model of a Greenhithe which was based upon a W7 if I recall. One of them ended up just up the road here, near Wrexham at a few collieries before ending up at Bersham. Hornet therefore managed to survive until 1983 when she was preserved, now residing at the Ribble Steam Railway. More information and a few photos here on Preserved British Steam Locomotives website.

The prototype parts will be manufactured shortly, and once I've got photos of the test model I'll share them here. In the meantime, the normal cab height Peckett kit is in production, and should be available in August. Visit Planet Industrials website to keep up to date. More soon...

Comments

  1. I really like that! Not sure what I could use one for though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps there was a colliery along the West Dorset?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.