Planet Industrials: Ruston 165DE (sloping cab)...

When designing the Peckett Greenhithe cab, I had a rather random idea, could you remove the cylinders from the Peckett chassis and use it for something else...
A quick measure up proved it would be possible, and then in short order I did a proof of concept sketch, that quickly turned into full 3D design for the late model sloping cab front Ruston 165DE (above). The plan is a very similar concept to the Planet, with a 3D printed core and etched overlays. This produces a beginners kit that can play to the strengths of each material without being overly complicated. It also fills a hole in the industrial kit world - Judith Edge already offer the 165DM (with jack shaft drive) and earlier 88DS style cab, and I'm planning the later LPS at a later date. The design would need only basic chassis modification - the removal of Peckett body is just two screws, the cylinders is another four screws. The etched chassis overlay would glue to the Peckett chassis, and the body would be attached using the original screws. Therefore, theoretically at a later date you could ping the overlays off and replace the cylinders...
Ruston and Hornby Rowntree No. 1
There is still a little more design work to undertake on the 3D model, adding some of the rivet detail and checking the grill/ventdetail - along with adding holes for handrails and wipers etc - but the basic modelling is done. Is this a kit you'd like to see in our range? It's not always easy coming up with new projects to know how they will sell - this style of 'plonk on' body kit seems popular at the moment, and this caters for a different market - it also brings some of my design ethos to this style of kit. Let me know here, or on Facebook. With a prevailing wind we should have a prototype before the end of the year, possibly even a Christmas release. More soon...

Comments

  1. James, Chris and myself would certainly be interested. Loved the Planet and would buy this in a heart beat. Oly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oly, thanks for the interest. Definitely progressing - will be more on the blog next week.

      Delete
  2. It looks interesting - I could justify a Grant Lyon Eagre example on West Halton!

    Could a basic set of etched frames be included? It's not a huge step beyond etched chassis overlays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, it would be a whole different proposition to add etched frames. These multimedia beginner kits are designed from the ground up with that concept in mind. I think if I were building one for P4 I’d do a completely different approach.

      Delete
    2. That's a shame, I'd have ordered one without hesitation otherwise but the cost of the RTR model, plus cost of rewheeling it makes it rather expensive.

      Could an etched chassis be offered separately? Would there be room to accommodate a Mashima motor/High Level gearbox combination within the body?

      Delete
  3. What an excellent idea, I would never have thought of doing this to the Peckett. I'd be tempted by this I you did a kit but I would hate to spend out on another Peckett only to strip off the body and motion. Strange, because I've done that so many times with 009 models,I guess it's about forking out £80 or so, I'm getting tight in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at 009 kits these days using Minitrains or Grafar 08 chassis you’re looking at a similar if not higher chassis outlay..,

      Delete
    2. True (sadly), but whereas I have no use for the N gauge donor locomotive, other than to use the chassis in 009, I do model in OO so I find discarding the rest of the locomotive, especially when it's as nice as the W4, really difficult. I shall follow developments with interest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.