No trains today…

Like an express train racing past my mind is busy. Since the departure of Pont-y-dulais it has been grappling with a mixture of inspiration and realisation. What to do next?


This is Kinross. As I continue to ponder the future direction of shelf cameos in my workshop come study I flicked the lights on this small slice of Prince Edward Island, Canada. Greeted by a lone boxcar at Visser’s warehouse instead my eyes and heart were drawn to the ‘expanse’ of flat nothing in the centre and the lone switch stand, upright and the only vertical element as far as the eye can see… at once I realised that it doesn’t matter if I’m not in the mood for trains today. That busy mind can’t settle on scale, gauge or prototype. A train will come again and I will enjoy it but for now, modelling or contemplating those empty spaces calms my busy mind.

Until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Yes, just some tracks without even rolling stock can be relaxing to contemplate and maybe suggest another approach to our modelling. I have been known to go up to the loft and look at the railroad for 10-15 minutes and ask is it right what else could I do. I find that quite useful in seeing the way forward.

    On the real thing I have been guilty photographing just track as this can help me in getting the right feeling. I have sent you some examples from my visits to Englewood in 2003 and 2006. Hope you find them atmospheric
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the email Alan.
      I think we all need to recognise our headspace sometimes. The hobby can be a real tonic but also an unnecessary pressure. I’ve enjoyed stepping back this weekend and have a clearer way forward on the next personal layout build.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.