This is N (again)…

Are you getting sick of that statement yet? I hope not, I know Chris and I are really enjoying exploring the artistic potential of this small scale. I shared this photo with him earlier in the week for a discussion and reflection…

Farish 25, DG couplings and pipework fitted, thinned buffer beam edge and disguised moulding under the cab sides, weathered but otherwise box fresh. Modelu figures painted and weathered. N brass etched metal fencing and British Finescale Bullhead track. All these seperate parts are good individually but brought together to evoke memories of stationary diesels ticking over in sidings, still warm, the smell of hot oil different but not dis-similar to the preserved steam locomotives I witnessed, summer Sunday’s between Engineering trains at Chester station, my memories of childhood encounters.

We’ve seen me use a combination of models and Modelu figures twice before in this ‘format’ (1, 2). What’s new is the 25, destined for the Cambrian project. A peculiar blend of well captured character and odd choices in detail but the end result, with minimal effort feels wonderful. I shall write about the locomotive when it’s ‘finished’ this weekend but the feelings already of this model are worth all the effort with magnifiers and fine brushes. 

‘Too many things I want to model’ ‘I’ve no space’ ‘N is too small for fine detail’.
All excuses I’ve found myself muttering. The fog has gone, N is a viable and practical scale for the artist, not just the train set. Why not treat yourself to that model you’ve always fancied and see where the journey takes you?

The full ‘N scale journey’ series now amounts to over 50 posts. My stories and experiences shared to encourage. If you do join in please let me know how you get on, any questions just ask. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

 

Comments

  1. Lovely 25, are you planning to replace the lamp/disc irons? That would seem impossibly fiddly work with my sausage fingers, but having seen what you've already done here I'm curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. No, I'm not. I think there is a limit to what is 'doable' in N - plus the damage caused by removing them would need a repaint, at least a partial one, and that is outside of my remit for the scale. This is about me 'playing' with the locomotives and wagons I enjoyed seeing in books - and reality - as a child. If Farish, Dapol or Revolution make it, and I can 'justify' it - then it will appear! Renumbering is about as far as I would go, and even then only at a push!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.