Talyllyn magic…

The last time I visited the Talyllyn Railway was prior to the pandemic in September 2019. It is reassuring to return and find the line still retains it's unique and welcoming character...


My son and I visited on Sunday, the last day of operation for a week or two after an intensive week of half term trains - and they're unique in North Wales for that, I couldn't find another heritage railway running within an hour or so of home. Happily for us the train wasn't very busy but apparently that was a pleasant change to the day before which had been very well patronised, very busy indeed. Volunteers were evident everywhere, even trackside during our trip. It feels very much alive and well - although as I'm sure all railways are finding at present, things are tough in terms of wage, insurance and fuel costs. Put to one side, and taken for it's purity, the ride up the valley is still one of magic and wonder.


As with the Welsh Highland out of Dinas, the trip across the fields in 'open' country is my favourite part and I imagine how time has almost stood still in these fields and stone walls. Lambs prancing alongside the train show the first signs of spring and renewal, whilst these iron ribbons still allow us to wander the same well trodden path that has been both important and enjoyed for well over 100 years.

 

The line lives too, with engineering trains in evidence, new rail, new sleepers, hedge bashers all in evidence. New too, the heritage - not an oxymoron, the slate supports and wooden trough for taking water on the mineral extension a reminder of the railways past - and beautifully recreated. Just needs a bit of moss now to really blend in!


Our trip was bitterly cold but thoroughly enjoyable with blue skies. Whilst the journey up the line was full of chatter from my young companion we both fell into a contemplative silence on the return, savouring the atmosphere of this wonderful railway.

 

They call it the railway with a heart of gold. I'm not sure about that, but it certainly is magic. If you've never been put it on your 'to do' list this year. Heck, even if you're there every season get back over and soak it all in. The one thing I'm beginning to appreciate after 40+ years on this planet is that the only constant is change. We don't know what's around the corner for any of us, nor our favourite railways, and although I'm sure the Talyllyn will continue to survive perhaps it's future one day will be without steam?

A sobering thought.

Until next time, more soon...





Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Thought I spied you on Sunday, glad you had fun. Regarding your comment about steam, on Saturday, Sir Haydn was trialling a new development of ‘ovoids’ (manufactured coal) as a latest attempt to keep steam going with the uncertainties of coal supplies. This latest batch has had some changes to its make up following experiences gained by the TR and other railways in trialling previous batches last year. I’m told that No 3, which can be one of our more precocious steamers, hence using it for trials, steamed very freely on the stuff so there’s hope for steam yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I wonder if we can really justify steam engines at all in 50 odd years time, at least fired on carbon based fuels of any type…

      Lovely ride though. For now we should be grateful for what we have, and support the railways we love. Talyllyn will always be a melancholy ride for me as it was my Dad’s favourite, and last narrow gauge he rode before he passed away. A special place, for more than the usual reasons.

      Delete
    2. Fair point, whether we can get something suitable to burn in a firebox might mean nothing if it’s become socially unacceptable to do so. Sobering to think that I’m just over a decade, the Talyllyn will have been preserved for longer than it wasn’t. Amazes me how many people have special memories of the Talyllyn and can see why you enjoy it so much. Camping beside the railway at Tynllwyn as a small boy cemented my love for small steam locos more so than the BR lines at the time.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, James - I need to get myself to Talyllyn this year. Same goes for about a hundred other heritage railways, but Talyllyn has a special allure.

    I was on a tour around the West Coast Railways MPD at Carnforth last weekend when one of the staff commented something along the lines of "this is the golden age of steam preservation; make the most of it, because it's unsustainable" - a gloomy outlook, but one I find it hard to argue with. That said, human ingenuity can be a force to be reckoned with, so let's hope someone comes up with a carbon-neutral means of keeping our locomotive heritage in steam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That isn’t a the first time I’ve heard almost those exact words regarding steam. Mind, I’d be as sad about classic diesels no longer being ‘used’ on the mainline and preserved railways.

      Delete
    2. Me too, but I'd be surprised if mainstream low/no-carbon diesel is a lower priority than a replacement for coal in steam engines.

      I wonder if anyone has tried running a Ruston* on chip fat yet.
      *or any other classic diesel loco

      Delete
  3. The TR was really the line that got 12-year-old me into the narrow gauge, while on a school Youth Hostelling trip. Although we'd ridden the VoR from Devil's Bridge to Aber the day before, it somehow didn't hit me in the same way. The arrival at Wharf station just as a loco came in under that incredibly tight bridge, the small scale of everything, and not knowing what lay beyond the bridge (despite having read LTCR's Railway Adventure) all combined to get into my head such that I can remember it 45 years later. Heading off through the cutting to Pendre and seeing the various stock in the works and sheds, then the scenery opening up showing the way to the mountains ahead still has the same effect now, despite having ridden it scores of times in more recent years.
    Coal...hmmm, dunno...hopefully these new alternatives will provide enough of a workable solution to be able to run at least some steam into the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Talyllyn appears in so many of our personal journeys in the hobby, no wonder it captures our imagination, I always felt it would have been a better bet for ‘proper’ RTR 009 (not Thomas) ahead of the Ffestiniog prototypes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.