Commission: Edward Thomas in 009…

Over the years since their release I've worked on a number of 'Talyllyn' based models using the Bachmann Thomas the Tank Engine 'Skarloey railway' items...

Most popular of these has always been Dolgoch and I've finished her in both green and the more recent red/brown livery. My own favourite at the railway was always Edward Thomas and with the release of Peter Sam in recent times we now have an exquisitely performing chassis and a mediocre body from where to start, and this commission shows one approach, using a FourDees replacement 3D printed body that fits directly over the chassis.


Unlike the Rheneas conversions this requires much less actual modelling (which I feel somewhat mixed about actually, but can see the attraction) but I did replace the cab side handrails. The distinctive lining is what sets the model apart and I couldn't rely on any Narrow Planet decal sheets - no this time it's all been pieced together by hand using Fox N scale lining transfers.

The secret here is to paint a black border on each panel first, and then use a 'black/yellow' lining decal and nudge the straights right up so the black overlaps which has the effect of straightening any wonky paintwork. Overlap the corners for now, it doesn't matter yet. The curves in the corners are 'inverted' but here luckily the transfers match the order of colours required, again overlapping the straight lines. You will now find the yellows all touch - and a delicate touch in with gloss black paint will neaten up and cover the overlapping decals and once lacquered produce an almost flawless lined effect.

  

In addition a set of Narrow Planet etched works and name plates have been fitted to the model, and I used some jewels for the lens of the lamps (which are part of the 3D print and non-removable). 


The finished result is very pleasing. The only slight word of caution I'd have with Dan's prints is the tendency for the cab to distort along the centre of the roof as the material is commendably thin, this leads to the front and back angling upwards and the gap just visible in the photos - I've left this removable for my customer, but if it were my own model I would glue this down and all would be well.

If you would like me to finish your own model of Edward Thomas, any of the other Talyllyn locomotives in 009 or indeed any scale get in touch and we can discuss options and prices. I offer a fixed price proposal based on your requirements so there are no shocks at the end of the commission. The contact form on the website is in the menu, or you can use Facebook or the forums to get in touch. Until next time though, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    That is a nice model. Have been thinking that with removing the buffers and if possible some dummy outside framing it would make a very good sugar mill loco. A little like those used in South Africa.

    What do you think ?

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd skip the dummy frames - otherwise yes, with an open cab and non dropped footplate you'd have something of a mini Brazil!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.