Off stage on stage…

As model makers and artists we compose scenes that whilst ‘complete’ rely on the viewers understanding that there is more ‘out of shot’ (out of view or off stage, if you like)…


We spend hours conjuring ways of disguising this stage exit and yet more time still once operating a layout to suggest it’s existence, a justification for our models presence. Last year Chris took some photos of a CN local switching in Burnside and I saw a white tank car I liked and wanted to model. “Alas, it doesn’t suit any of the industries on Beaverbrook, I can’t justify it…”

It was in conversation with Chris that he suggested perhaps there was a suitable industry off stage and yet it arrived on stage because it was easier to bring it to the end of spur than switch a load in on the way and empties on the way out. A light bulb moment, here was all I needed to justify the model and it duly arrived at Christmas (an Athearn RTR model, if anyone is interested).

I love the idea of including this car, this way. It speaks to a railroad beyond the stage in a way that no amount of hidden staging and hiding trains ever could.

Burnside, Dartmouth, September 22nd, 2022. Photo Chris Mears.

Switching Burnside, September 22nd, 2022. Photo Chris Mears.

I don’t run it all the time and in fact it needs weathering too, but on occasion it appears in the consist arriving on stage. It’s presence actually can complicate switching moves as well as telling that ‘beyond’ story. It feels as if it belongs, it helps tell the story, it adds more depth.


For me, the off stage industry allowed me to justify a car I wanted in my collection, however this brought that added benefit of realism I had not considered. Perhaps both of these reasons will resonate for you too and you could consider the same technique on your layout, whatever the setting? Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I want to say that many moons ago, Carl Arendt used the term "ghost industry" to refer to a business not featured on a layout but received traffic. Much as you describe here. Or maybe I imagined it. Anyway, ghost industry is what I call them. But yes, they are a very useful way to generate traffic on a small or micro layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt there is anything new anymore Ian, and there is a parallel with that thought here. I’d ponder if what is interesting here is that I’m not designing ghost industries for operational reasons rather I’m focusing on the stage and what I want to see on it?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.