Friday Update: Seventeen Two Twenty-three…

Living without Pont-y-dulais initially felt strange but now Paxton Road has taken its place I’ve found even more enthusiasm for the possibilities of standard gauge ‘modern image’ in N…


After the success of the Doncaster show I’ve pondered too what to replace the layout with? Paxton Road (above) has been an excellent ‘proving’ ground but in time May also ,ove to a new home. It has proven a number of things to me and taught me even more, it’s size and scope may be limited but operating it on and off for two days only renewed my fondness for it and for the period it represents. My thoughts are either a direct replacement for Pont-y-dulais (as in Boothstown) or a large cameo N layout. I have a scheme for this, that I developed with Chris last year but as yet, I haven’t moved forwards. I’ve ordered some British Finescale code 40 flatbottom to try out - I’d like to see some variation in a scene in terms of rail type and rail weight so will evaluate alongside Peco Code 55, more on that another time.


In the workshop work continues on the layout commissions and Bishopsbourne is now operational with all track and wiring complete. This follows my customers brief, and my preference for small layouts - simple analog DC operation, manual turnouts and three way toggles on the frogs. I will progress the structures for this layout next week alongside progressing the road bed and trackwork on Shades of Mountain Ash, fitting around the schoo half term!


Other projects include starting a new identity and weathering of another of the lovely Rapido Hunslet, this time it will join Non-slip, the Manning Wardle I built last year for a customer who popped along to meet me in person at Doncaster, which was lovely.


Next from Planet Industials are ‘modern’ crew, Steve and I posed for your footplate crews wearing more modern jackets and hard hats - as well as a ‘shunter’ figure I posed for as well. These will be in the range in OO direct through Light Railway Stores and other scales via Modelu.


From little to large, a Quarry Hunslet has arrived to be transformed into Statfold’s ‘Jack Lane’ seen here posed with the 16mm scale Class 91. Little and large on 2ft in many ways, watch out for more of that in next weeks update! I’m going to investigate the feasibility of raising the boiler pitch too, which could be interesting!


I’ll sign off this week with this lovely view and the promise of more Cambrian project to come soon! As I write this both the 24 and 25 have been given a wash and some detail painting but yet to receive a dusting with the airbrush. Their ‘completion’ will mean the next items for attention will be passenger vehicles. The track (British Finescale code 40 bullhead) is now ordered, and George and I have a baseboard design finalised so it’s just a case of ordering the wood to make a start. That is an exciting feeling, a joint project is something I’ve wanted to experience for many years, this is going to be a lot of fun!


As half term descends upon us here in Wales next week I’ll try and keep the blogs coming daily. I’ve enough wood in stock to make a start on the next cameo layout this weekend - I wonder whether Boothstown or N will make the cut? I hope you manage some railway interest yourself, it’s a wonderful hobby and a great way to calm the mind. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments