Commission: Bishopsbourne and the Boche Buster…

This layout design has been completed for a customer, through following my 'Layout Design Brief' approach and service, which costs from just £160. In this instance I quote my customer "You have nailed the brief", I present Bishopsbourne...

From IWM archives, embedded from Wikipedia (https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BocheBusterCatterick12December1940.jpg#mw-jump-to-license)

Bishopsbourne was a station on a lightly used cross country line in Kent. Built as the Elham Valley Railway and operated by the South Eastern, it was singled in 1931 by the Southern. During the second world war a tunnel north of Bishopsbourne station was identified as suitable to 'hide' one of the Boche Buster guns and a loop of track was re-laid for this purpose. My customer has a deep interest in both the area and WW2 memorabilia and was keen to develop a scheme that would allow him to have 10-15 minute operating sessions but mainly be a scenic diorama presentation of his Oxford Rail gun.


Although in practice the distance between the tunnel and the station was over 700m (which would need 9 odd metres in OO) I suggested several ways of using either the tunnel, or station over bridge as scenic breaks - or even both...


That caricature of the prototype, by massively compressing the distance between tunnel and station may seem somewhat incongruous but it works. You don't take in the whole layout in one view, as you're stood quite close to it. The benefit is you have two decent 'hiding' methods for the scenic exits, and the balance in the scene works well with the same 'interest' level as with Kinross - scenically 'busier' at each end and 'lower' in the middle - the result is visually pleasing as I discuss in my book 'Small Layout Design Handbook' (still available at the time of writing although copies are running out quickly).


My customer wasn't sure if he would be able to construct the layout and so I also put together a page of 'instructional' notes and sketches to show how I construct a typical 'scenic cameo box' and lid, and how the fiddle stick supports and LED strips are attached. 

The result is a layout that he felt met his needs, he felt engaged and energised through he process and even if he chooses to build the layout himself or commission a 3rd party, I have provided a service that will set up that next stage for success with a layout that meets his needs, space, skill level and available time. If you'd like me to work with you on your own layout design journey then do get in touch for personal proposal using the menu on the website or via Facebook or the forums. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. I like elements of that design if you take the rail gun out of the equation. I suspect Iain Rice would have used a double slip, he seemed very fond of slips.

    Perhaps I should reuse the Tanat valley buildings from Apa Valley for a slightly extended version

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a great idea James, I’ve a soft spot for the Tanat valley! I’m actually working on a model of Blodwell bridge for a customer too at the moment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.